converting .mov to .avi with mpgstreamclip

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Sossity, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Sossity macrumors 6502a

My digicam takes movies files in .mov format which is fine on my macbook pro, but I want to burn these clips to a blank DVD disc to play on a setop DVD player without having to go through a complex & time consuming (meaning be able to burn the movies in 15 min or less) video editing process, as mom & dad want to just see the movies on their tube tv.

So I tried loading one of the .mov files into mpg streamclip & tried converting to .avi, as I read this is a fairly universal format & my parents philips DVD player plays divix,.mpg & .avi files.

when I tried to play the converted movies in VLC player & another on my mac, it played with no sound.I want these to be able to play on a DVD player.

can anybody help me with this? it seems just getting the video files for simple playback on a DVD player without the ordeal of video editing is not possible, this is one of the reasons I gave up on video & dont like it as much now.

I just want the raw files converted to .avi or other DVD player format without having to go into a video editor.

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

not to much up on these type of things, but .avi is just a container format, it can hold different types of video/audio

for your issue it sounds like you are missing the codec for audio

open up your .mov file in qt7 and go to the movie properties page, check what it says for the audio format, you then need to look for the downloadable codec for this

it is a long time since i did any of this, but do you have the divx player installed, this used to install many different audio/video codecs which fixed this issue

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My guess is that those .avi files are either DivX-encoded .avi videos or the ancient Microsoft .avi container format. However, you have iDVD on your computer. Only some DVD players can play DivX, .mpg, and .avi videos. Every DVD player can play regular DVDs. With iDVD, you can create regular menu-driven DVDs. My bet is that your parents will have less trouble with regular DVDs than the data DVDs you are asking about.

4. palmharbor macrumors 6502

conversion

Use the conversion to .dv it works the best in iMovie and iDVD

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I opened the file in quicktime player & for audio it showed; I enclosed an attachment of the screenshot I took of the info.

Attached Files:

6. paulsalter, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

can you check the movie properties also, next option down from the window menu

another option to try, download the free divx player, see if this plays them ok

also, just to check, do you get any sound if played in qt ?, i assume not

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

the next option down is to show export progress there is no movie properties, there is just movie inspector, I am using quicktime player.

Which free divix player do I download? is there a link for it?

no sound with the movies converted to .avi.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It's not divix, it's DivX with only one "i." Also, install the Perian codec suite.