Converting .mov to .wmv problem :)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by salix28, May 17, 2007.

1. salix28 macrumors newbie

When I convert my .mov to an .wmv, my 2 minute movie only shows 22 seconds in the .wmv format. Does anyone know why? What can I do?

2. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Why on earth would you convert TO wmv? Don't do it, man.

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I have to say that I too am curious as to why you would want to covert to .wmv. If it is for generic playability on windows, then maybe you could covert from .mov to .avi, thus it is easily playable on Linux, Mac, and Windows.

Brian

4. 7masscom macrumors member

.mov to .wmv

I'm a web developer, so I understand that sometimes there is a need to convert to .wmv (i.e. that's what the client wants). So first off, what are you using to convert your .mov files? Flip4mac? Other?

5. salix28 thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason for converting my .mov to a .wmp or .wmv is so my wife's work laptop can view the flick. The computer is software protected and I cannot download Quicktime to her computer. Damn corporate world!

I have tried using the .avi, but the quality is terrible.

Any other ideas?

Mucho Gracias!

6. 7masscom macrumors member

Converting

So what application are you using to convert the .mov files with to .wmv?

7. salix28 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used Final Cut Express and IMovie HD. What are your suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

8. 7masscom macrumors member

QT Codecs

Neither final cut or imovie (both based on quicktime) can convert to .wmv with the standard codecs installed on a mac. You need a third party application like flip4mac, mp4converter, etc... to give quicktime the proper codec for the conversion.

That being said, your initial question was that you could convert to .wmv but the clips were truncated at 22 seconds. Obviously, whatever codec you have intstalled doesn't work and we don't know the manufacturer.

My recommendation is to use flip4mac (http://www.flip4mac.com), they have a few versions, get the WMV Studio version. This will allow you to create the files you need.

9. salix28 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advise. I guess I'll have to break down and actually BUY some software for this conversion. :)

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Try visualhub - I think the trial will allow you to try it (2 minute limit on conversions). There is definitely a wmv tab on it.