Converting movies for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arkanok, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok, so when I want to convert a movie that I backup on my computer (yes, I like taking my bought dvd movies on the road with me on my laptop and/or iPhone for watching away from home) I know which apps to use to do the conversion, but they all seem to drop the video resolution, which is understandable. However, I noticed that I purchased a movie with a digital copy of the movie for iTunes (Forbidden Kingdom, if you must know) and the video's resolution is pretty high (853x354) and it transfers to the iPhone just fine at that res.

Now, the reason I'm asking is because, having it this way means I've gotta have two versions of the same movie on my computer at the same time (one at normal dvd res, and one at the iPhone res) and I'd prefer it if I could have one that would work on both while being dvd resolution on my laptop. I mean, yeah, I COULD watch the iPhone version on the computer, but they are so low res that when I enlarge it, obviously, it's not as crisp as I'd like.

So, does anybody know how I could convert a movie from a dvd onto my computer at its original resolution, while still being able to use that same video file on my iPhone WITHOUT converting it again for the iPhone?

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

You have a few choices;
    1. Live with 2 versions of the movie taking up drive space
    2. Convert the movie for viewing, sync it then delete it from the PC
    3. Sync the larger file size movie to the iPhone

I use option 1, with 1 TB usb drives costing $150 or less its pretty pointless to worry about 2gig of space for 2 movies.
    Then again i only have 20 movies of which 5 are iPhone converted.

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Well, I get what you're saying, but in option 3 you state "Sync the larger file size movie to the iPhone," but when I have the larger file size (resolution) movie in iTunes and try to sync it, it tells me that the movie isn't compatible with the iPhone.

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I don't have any :apple: iTunes movies so no idea what is happening there. Perhaps some one else can shed some light on that.
    I use handbrake and take the defaults for ripping both reg. dvd and iPhone. Either video syncs just the big one is like 1.2~1.7gig and the iPhone one is 100~300meg.

5. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Well I add the movies I convert to iPhone into iTunes to be able to sync them. They aren't ones I've purchased necessarily.