Converting movies for us on iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by majordude, Mar 13, 2012.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use Roxio Toast and have a bunch of videos made to work on an iPad. How will they look on the new iPad? Will future movies need to be converted at a different rate/size?

2. sartios macrumors member

I used to use Handbrake for doing all my converting, but I just use Air Video now, converts on the fly whilst streaming from my iMac to my iPad or iPhone, you can set the conversion settings in the app such as resolution etc, I'm sure when it gets updated for the iPad you will be able stream at 1920x1080 for your movies.

I'm talking about files such as 1080p/720p .mkvs etc..

3. kidnice15 macrumors member

I love using Air Video. one of my favorite apps. Is there a way to stream to my iPad if I am not home and not connected to the same internet as my computer?

4. sartios macrumors member

On your Air Video preferences, go to the "remote" tab, and check the "Enable access from interenet" checkbox, this will give you a pin, put the pin on the air video app on your device and this will allow you to stream over the internet if you are not at home, providing you have a decent connection speed.

5. Xanthos macrumors member

The conversion on AirVideo is fantastic.

I've tried converting MKV videos with subtitles on various software and all of them turns out to be problematic. It could be the subtitles not being encoded or the 6ch audio becomes 1ch on a single side of the speaker.

AirVideo manages to convert them all without a hitch.

More over, streaming over 3G on AirVideo is reasonable quality wise.

One of my best purchases on the AppStore.

6. sartios macrumors member

Yeah it's all I ever use now, fantastic bit of kit and couldn't do without it to be honest....

The differences between paid and the free version is minor though, the latter being you can only see 3 or 4 files in the folder you are sharing at one time, without refreshing it.

7. Xanthos macrumors member

I've never tried the free version. Didn't know the difference is so small.

8. sartios macrumors member

Yeah I know, I tried the free version first then looked at what features you get with the paid version and didn't think it was worth it, I don't mind clicking refresh to see the folder/film I want.