Converting movies into iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shuffles, Apr 12, 2011.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

I'm having trouble converting movies I've downloaded into iTunes. I was using a free program called Videora but it doesn't seem to be working properly. When I used it to convert 'Watchmen' to iTunes the audio quality was terrible (it sounded like wind in the background). Also, I just used it to convert 'The Fellowship Of The Ring' and for some reason only 94 mins of the film was transferred into iTunes.

Is there a better program I should be using?

2. jdreier macrumors member

Second the handbrake option. I use it for all my video encodes.

3. UKBorgs macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok I've used handbrake and the default options to copy legally brought DVDs for me to place on my iPad prior to going away for work. But the encodes give a garbled picture and doesn't appear correct. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

4. simsaladimbamba

You need VLC Player present to circumvent the copy protection scheme.

5. UKBorgs macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok I thought I had vlc already installed. 1.1.9 version. As it's all freeware, shall I just reinstall it all and try again? What about 32/64 bit versions?

Sorry newb questions I'm sure.

6. simsaladimbamba

The first link I provided explains it. If you have a 64-bit version of Handbrake, you need a 64-bit version of VLC.
    And yes, you can just reinstall VLC.

7. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

I downloaded Handbrake and converted a movie (The Fellowship Of The Ring) into iTunes. It plays perfectly in iTunes but won't sync with my iPod Classic. Itunes says it cannot be played on my iPod. Whats's wrong? I thought that if it was in iTunes it could be synced with the device?

8. simsaladimbamba

What preset did you use in Handbrake?

9. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

No idea. I just browsed my computer using handbrake, selected the movie from my desktop and clicked start. What should I have done?

10. simsaladimbamba

Selected the iPod preset, if you want to play it on an iPod.

11. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Under output settings it says:

Format (MP4 file). Should I leave this as MP4 or change it to MKV file? There are 3 boxes beside this saying: large file size, web optimized and iPod 5g support. Should I check the iPod 5g box?

Under all of this there is a box called video codec. H.264 (x264) is preselected for this option.

12. simsaladimbamba

This is a preset (template), thus no changes are necessary to have the result working on an iPod. .mkv is not a supported container in iTunes, you obviously don't have an iPod 5G, you don't want a large file and don't need any web optimisation. The codec is also the correct one

13. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

These are all the options I'm given. What am I missing? Sorry for the noob questions.

14. simsaladimbamba

Nothing. You select the SOURCE, then select the PRESET (iPod in your case), select the OUTPUT directory and file name and then press START.
    Is there something not working?

15. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

I just saw the 'toggle presets' button on the top right. I clicked apple, and then ipod and it's selected ipod 5g as the preset. I'll give it a go and let you know if it works.

16. simsaladimbamba

17. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

It worked perfectly, cheers for all your help!

18. UKBorgs macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok this is annoying me now. I have both 64 bit vlc and handbrake installed and running. I put the dvd in the drive, now please what next? I have chosen the preset iPad 2, do I just click encode and wait?

19. simsaladimbamba

You click START and wait.
    Or is something not working?
    Maybe you should rip the DVD first?

20. UKBorgs macrumors member

Yep. Handbrake found the VIDEO_TS folder with 11 files contained within. It recognised the TITLE 1 as 1 hr 52 mins, which I assumed was the film but it appears to have created a *.m4v file that plays in VLC that is only approx 45 mins in length.

What has happened to the rest of the film?

(Doing my nut here!)

21. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

You need to verify which Title contains the movie. I do this by playing the movie in DVDPlayer and checking which title is playing. You can't assume that HandBrake will select the correct title.

22. UKBorgs macrumors member

Problem is that Handbrake has selected the correct title, which is about 38-40 chapters long, but it appears to have only converted 50% of the chapters.

23. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

As much as I love OS X, I still use Windows for ripping & Handbrake.

DVDFab (Passkey) + Handbrake just works.

Also I use the AppleTV 2 preset as it works on all my iOS devices.

24. tomtom27 macrumors newbie

I'll have to try that.

Thanks,

Tom