Converting Movies to iPad with good sound level? - Handbrake problem/setting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, May 28, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I have this problem with Handbrake and a quick Google search shows me many others have the same problem.

That is the low sound level of converted videos/movies.

When I play, say the BBC iPlayer or other such things, I have great sound levels, however with a film converted using Handbrake it's whisper quiet.

I have read it might not be Handbrake's fault as such as with a movie there is an increaed dynamic range so that loud bits are REALLY loud, but this means normal bits are extra quiet.

So, perhaps for iPad viewing of films (given the poor speaker anyway) The best idea would be to compress the sound into a more narrow dynamic range and make it all LOUDER so it's more enjoyable on the tablet.

Given this, if this is the case. Are their any ways to make Handbrake do this, or are there other programs that can convert videos into iPad compatible format AND give a nice strong audio track?

Thanks. I'm sure there are many many people who would like an answer to this problem.

2. Shootme macrumors newbie

Under audio tab DRC set to 1.25 - 2.5, run a few samples and adjust to you liking.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Thanks for the reply, but I tried drc at it's max setting of 4 and found it made zero difference

4. Sam0464 macrumors newbie

forget about converting. try this AVPlayerHD. working nice.

5. bissettdy macrumors newbie

VLC and Oplayer app for iPad is great, you needn't convert anything, just drag the video into your iPad. But as I know some video formats just like Real media foramt and some high definition videos can not replay fluently. Maybe sometimes you still need to prepare a ipad video converter in case you can not go with stumble. I used the third party Mac iPad Converter, nice tool, but not free. You can try it if you think it's interesting.