Converting Movies

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by werebear23, May 11, 2008.

1. werebear23 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone i hope someone can help me, i am using a macbook at the minute and am wanting to watch movies on it????

Now here is where the problems start the films are in divx/Avi formats and am wanting to change the format, when using isquint to change the format the file sizes are always bigger than the original file and picture quality isn't very good is very blocky???

Any ideas, if so can some help with either some better software

thanks mike

2. dino0829 macrumors member

Why are you converting them?

Don't bother converting, unless you're moving them to an iPod later. Just watch them using Mplayer (you can find it free at versiontracker.com). That's a great little player that'll play just about anything. No conversions, full-screen mode, and not much of a resource hog, either.
    Good luck.

3. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Why are you converting them, so you can watch them in Quickime? Instead, install something called Perian. (perian.org) It will allow you to watch divx, avi, and many other formats with Quicktime.

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

visual hub costs money but it doesnt if u dont want it to ;)

5. werebear23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i am currently using Vlc to play the files which it does the job fine its just sometimes i could do with the file size to be smaller so i can fit more on the laptop.

Why does the screen go all blocky when its converted to H.264 and mp4???

mike

6. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Not sure why it does that. I use Handbrake to rip my DVD's for play on my ipod touch. The program shrinks them down quite a bit and they still look decent on my laptop.

7. sbf74 macrumors member

Do you get the popping audio problems when listening to movies on MB??