Converting my Macbook Pro into a desktop...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibadukefan, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ibadukefan macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro with a 2.?? GHz Core 2 Duo processor from about 3 or 4 years ago. The case has taken a little abuse (a few moves) and I would like to convert the parts into a desktop.

The system still seams to run well enough. I'd like to add a SSD to house the OS for a performance boost.

Here's my issue...I'm pretty technical with repairs and upgrades to my own machines, but I have never built a computer before. What parts can I salvage from the Pro and what will I need to buy new to make this a fully functioning desktop?

I plan on buying a mid or full size computer case, as well as the before-mentioned SSD. The superdrive will play DVD's, but will not burn, so I will probably need a new optical drive.

I'm not sure what to do about ports, USB, DVI, etc? Power?

Can I figure a way to attach the motherboard to the desktop case?

Connecting it all, making it work together. I realize there will be some soldering and whatnot involved. I am excited about doing this.

It will be like a Hackintosh, but legit! ;)

I don't want a ghetto system using the ports from the laptop. I'm willing to spend a little bit of cash to make this decent, but nothing extravagant. I believe I should be able to do this pretty cheap, i.e. $500 or less.

Am I crazy? In the ballpark? I'd love some expert opinions/thoughts here. Thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not really practical. If you want to use it as a desktop, I'd just hook up a monitor and keyboard and use it like that. Your only I/O options would be the ports from the laptop (USB, FW, SATA, etc.), and there wouldn't really be a way to translate that to the case. You'd also have to figure out how to rig a PSU up to it, and how to prevent it from frying the board.

I can't say it's impossible, but unless you have some absolutely amazing soldering skills and a lot of time on your hands, it really won't work.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I don't see any way you could mount the mobo in a computer case. If you do go this route this new mac desktop isn't very upgradable which defy's the purpose of a desktop.

Get a bluray/DVD optical drive to replace your faulty optical drive.

4. ibadukefan, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

ibadukefan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware this may be a little impractical. And I can see how easy it would be to just hookup some peripherals to it and be done with it. But I would love to repurpose it, even if it required some work. I consider it a challenge to #1 do it, and #2 do it cheaply, if possible. It seems like it would be a fun project with a cool reward if successful.