Converting my mp3 ringtones to play on the iPhone 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guitarchordz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. guitarchordz macrumors newbie

Hi all!

Which is the application to convert my mp3 ringtones so I can use them on my iPhone 3gs?

I have HandBrake...which is excellent for movies and videos, but apparently it does not let me do ringtones!

Please help!
    Thanks!

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Garage Band, iTunes, audiko, any # of the 'free' mp3 to <insert file format> converters.

3. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

I did mine in GarageBand, it has an option to 'share' and save as a ringtone.

4. Interpolation macrumors regular

Just google it and there are loads of options. I use itunes to do it.

5. guitarchordz thread starter macrumors newbie

How are you guys using iTunes to do this?
    I tried too...nothign happened.

There's a 'Ringtones' section on iTunes. I tried to drag and drop my mp3 ringtones into the 'Ringtones' section. It did nothing at all. I waited for a while too, nothing shows up under 'Ringtones' on my iTunes???

Am I doing somethign wrong?

6. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

You need to chooose the time period you want, create AAC version, drag to comp, change to M4R from M4A, then play it and it will end up in ringtones.

7. kunal123 macrumors member

doin' it using itunes

1) go to preferences in edit
    2) click on import settings and choose aac
    3) choose song and go to options and set start time and stop time within 30 seconds of each other.
    4) convert the song using itunes
    5) change the extension from m4a to m4r.
    6) put it in itunes.
    I have done this using windows but am pretty sure it will work on a mac.
    :D:D

8. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Correct sir. This works flawlessly on my Mac. Once you get going it takes no time to convert to a ringtone.

9. James.123 macrumors regular

edit the ringtone with Fission and copy it to the iphone with iToner :)

10. throwbookatface macrumors member

You need to convert the file using iTunes' built-in converter.

Make sure the song you want as a ringtone is already in your iTunes library. Go to Edit -> Preferences and under the "General" tab click the "Import Settings" box. Change your settings to AAC encoding, feel free to choose the quality you want (it doesn't have to be super-high since it's just a ringtone, I leave it on default). This changes what format iTunes will either convert files to or import it from CDs - AAC means your files will have the extension .M4A.

Now go to the song in your library you want as a ringtone. Go to the "Get Info" section by right-clicking (ctrl+clicking if you're on a Mac touchpad). There will be Start Time and End Time fields you can fill out. the iPhone will support ringtones up to 40 seconds long, so fill these fields out so you're playing a snippet of 40 seconds or less. You can use the first part of the song or any part of the song. If you want to know what the snippet sounds like, click "OK" and play the song, and it'll only play the snippet!

After you've selected the snippet for the ringtone, click on the "Advanced" menu up top and click "Convert to AAC." Now iTunes will import a new version of the song you wanted using only the snippet. Once it's done, you'll have a new copy of the song in your library. Go to the folder where it's stored, either manually or by right-clicking on the song and clicking "Show in Windows Explorer" ("Show in Finder" if you're using a Mac.)

Change the extension on the file from .M4A (song format) to .M4R (ringtone format). Import this new file into your library by opening it, dragging it into iTunes, or any other method you usually use - now it's in the ringtone section of iTunes!

How to finish:
    1) Delete the entry in your library for the .M4A snippet that no longer exists (you'll see an exclamation point by the entry)
    2) Change the "Start Time" and "End Time" settings on the original song to the previous settings (just uncheck the boxes to use the whole song again)
    3) Sync your iPhone with your free ringtone!

PM me with any questions!

11. guitarchordz thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow!
    Thanks you all so much!
    I'm new to using iTunes...and now this will keep me occupied for a while!

12. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

13. throwbookatface macrumors member

It's a lot of fun to pick songs. After a few times in iTunes it can take as little as a minute per ringtone, so you can spend some good time making tons of them.

14. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

i hope that they make the format .m4r one of the choices in the 'import settings window' when designing a later version of itunes. Imagine how easy that would be if they did that, could convert an entire album to ringtones!! haha

i had to help my dad out when he wanted some ringtones done, he didnt know of this method, and thus had to ask me to do it in garageband for him, cos he's PC based! darrn

PTP

:apple:

15. jasminhas macrumors newbie

hi guys....

i hv got iphone 3g 16gb with OS 3.0 and I have itunes version 8.2. I tried the method u told to create ringtones using itunes.... but nothing happened:mad:.... and i have also noticed that the aac file i created had .m3i extension not .m4a...
    plz help me out....:confused:
    thanx.....

16. jasminhas macrumors newbie

:):):) got it.... ringtones working....
    but still a problem....when syncing ringtones to my iphone.... it deleted my all music and videos....
    have i done something wrong...??? or will it delete all my music/videos everytime i sync my ringtones..... if yes how to keep them.......???

17. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Depending which way you do this, you have to make sure that the music tab box is ticked. You can have itunes automatically sync everything in your library. Its a bit of a lengthy process, cos it deletes your entire library off your iphone, then recopies it all back again.

alternatively you can do it manually by checking the "manually manage music and videos. You would then be able to copy ringtones at your free will and pleasure.

:-D

PTP

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I use the free and simple iRinger. It's as easy as: Import mp3> Trim> Export to iTunes. :apple:

19. jhonny22 macrumors newbie

is that a software to be installed in your phone?

20. jhonny22 macrumors newbie

21. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Unfortunately not. That would be perfect, if there was "an app for that", on the App Store or Cydia.

22. jasminhas macrumors newbie

thanx all...... now i am getting use to iphone.........

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, there is.

24. paul100 macrumors newbie