Converting old foreign VHS tapes to DVDs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Shilpa1125, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Shilpa1125 macrumors newbie

My parents have a ridiculous amount of old VHS tapes that we recorded in Saudi Arabia and England that we haven't been able to watch since then because of the different formats. I've figured out that I need to buy a VCR that is compatible with that format (and if anyone has any tips of where I should go to find that format, I'd appreciate it). But my main question was can I use any of the popular analog to DV converters that are out there for this?

Specifically, do the Canopus ADVC110 Converter or the Elgato EyeTV work with all formats? And finally, I know the Elgato product can be used as a TV tuner, so I'm inclined to go with that if it works with my old tapes, but is the quality of the Canopus much better?

Thanks.

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Elgato includes their premium software with their tuner, the competition often includes Elgato's lite software. I didn't know there were different VHS formats, learn something every day.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

It isn't a different VHS format - it's a different television standard (aka television systems: PAL, NTSC and SECAM). The OP will need a VCR capable of playback of all three standards with the ability to output the standard that matches the TV he'll be viewing on.

Samsung may still have their "world VCR" available.

-DH

4. Shilpa1125 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look for that World VCR and hopefully that makes transferring it a bit easier. But, any ideas on whether I should get the Elgato EyeTV or the Canopus? Basically, is there a big benefit to the Canopus or does the EyeTV do everything Canopus does, in addition to also having a TV tuner?