Converting old Mac into "dropbox" server for iOS and desktop devices

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by RoboWarriorSr, Jul 24, 2014.

1. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I know currently one can convert an old Mac into a server relatively easily but is there is there a way to make a server usable on iOS devices like dropbox? Or is the better option buying hardware that has this feature built-in like some of the Synergy equipment?

2. sevoneone macrumors 6502

You can use WebDAV, which has support in the iWork apps on iOS. Setting it up used to be tricky, but I have not used it in awhile. Also, if your ISP is blocking port 80 outbound this won't work for you.

Option two is to setup a regular file/FTP server and use a good file management app on your iPad to transfer files back and forth. I really like a free app called Documents by Readdle for this. It does not support AFP unfortunately, but it does support FTP, SFTP and SMB. A lot of ISPs block the ports for SMB both inbound and outbound though, so S/FTP is really the only choices.

3. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay thanks I'll try these

4. 960design macrumors 68020

Running a webdav server for several years now. Here's a good starting place:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Apache-WebDAV-LDAP-HOWTO/x383.html

5. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I love WebDAV. However, mine can only be accessed locally or over VPN for security. I also put a lot of security checks, audits, and logs in place to monitor stuff.

6. scho0ck macrumors newbie

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

"ownCloud can be installed on Windows and Linux operating systems"

Are you running it in a VM?

8. scho0ck macrumors newbie

Hi,

No running it via the native Mac Server apache however there apparently is a problem when you use german characters but I could not reproduce the issue so far and there is also a community fix for it.

I'm also running "memcached" and "apc" installed via Macports to speed up php

Database wise I'm using MySql

Haven't found any bugs related to OS X yet.