Converting PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have a quicktime PAL movie that I want to burn to a dvd to send to the US as NTSC.
    It's just a short movie using 720 x 576 size and 25 fps.
    When I set up iDVD it warns me just before burning that I am trying to burn an NTSC dvd using a PAL format media and I don't know if this will result in a poor quality or an unplayable movie.
    Can anyone please advice how to change the PAL movie to NTSC in Compressor so that I can make a good quality version of the PAL file into an NTSC file?
    Thanks a lot for any advice.

2. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

A coupla ways...

Some say just run it thru JES Deinterlacer (free) or MPEG Streamclip (free). I use Cinema Tools to conform it to 24 FPS (23.98) then run that thru either of the above for results that I can't tell the difference between.

3. lostless macrumors 6502

What is the source? Is it from a video camera, TV, or is it a movie (film)? JES deinterlacer will do a very good job at converting the differences in frame rate if you choose to have your output to DVD. It basically creates all new interlaced frames that will look the best when played on NTSC. Mpeg streamclip will work, but the output will be more choppy then if you use JES deinterlacer.

4. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, everyone. I will give jes deinterlacer a try.
    Does anyone have any opinion whether it will produce a better quality result than using Compressor?