Converting .pdb and .bgl dictionaries to Apple .dictionary format

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by quijote1971, Nov 16, 2013.

1. quijote1971, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

quijote1971 macrumors newbie

Since iBooks (that I use to read epub files) and iAnnotation (which I use for PDF files) use the iOS built in dictionaries for word look up and I mostly read books in languages that are not included in the ones provided by Apple, I wanted to add the dictionaries I need myself. I found a way to download and add dictionaries to my iPad built in dictionary, but this method only works with the Apple ".dictionary" format. Unfortunately, the dictionaries I found are either in .pdb (Pilot db, I guess) or in .bgl (Babylon) format and I can't find any converter for Mac that can allow me to convert the .pdb/.bgl files to the .dictionary format... or any other format.

Dictunifier 2.1 doesn't seem to work anymore on Mavericks and it's completely useless.

Does anyone know a way or a workaround to achieve this, so I can finally look up words in the languages I want from any app (iBooks, iAnnotation, Safari, etc.) ?

Thanks so much!

2. Descarreaux macrumors newbie

Descarreaux

Same here

I guess, the fastest track would be to find a OS 8 mac to do the conversion.