Converting png to desktop icon?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by meagain, Jul 1, 2008.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I'd love to help but for some reason I can't download that file, I click it and it stalls waiting for deviantart.com? :confused:

(I know its not me because I can download other icons from there just fine...)

3. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

It seems the link tosses you to a deviantart ad or something then you have to click 'continue' or something. Maybe that's why?

Basically I have a nice Air icon but it's too small. I think this one would be the right size but it's in some png format that I'm not familiar with and the background is grey or I can't free the image from the background or something. :)

4. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Use the program img2icns to convert those .png files to .icn files

that's what your problem is.

5. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks but I can't get that to work either. I drag an icon there and it acts like it's doing something but doesn't. It did do something to 2 icons but they still have the grey background and I think are still png. This is obviously beyond me and my applications folder is now filled with files, etc. it shouldn't have.

How about resizing a working icon on my desktop? Is there no easy way to do that?

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I still can't get the original link to the icons to download! :confused:

7. Matari macrumors member

You could try opening the .png in preview and then saving it as a jpeg. You can then put it into img2icns to turn it into a .icn file. Re the grey background - not too sure how you get rid of this, unless you put it into photoshop.