Converting Progressive to Interlaced, then importing to iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mattaut, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mattaut macrumors regular

Alright I have a video that was shot in progressive mode and I wanted it to be interlaced cause it looks like **** from being shot in progressive. I was able to successfully convert it using JES Deinterlacer and it looks great, but then when I import it into iMovie the thumbnails look like the original progressive mode footage and when I export it it looks worse than the progressive footage. I just want to be able to import it into iMovie and maintain the interlaced look when I export it. Here's some screenshots of what I did-

Original footage-
    [​IMG]

Import to JES Deinterlacer-
    [​IMG]

Double frames and slow down movie to half speed-
    [​IMG]

Output settings-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I have a slow motion version of the movie still in progressive with double the amount of frames and now I put it through JES again to make it interlaced.

Import-
    [​IMG]

Reinterlace settings-
    [​IMG]

Output settings-
    [​IMG]

Here is the interlaced product, everything is much clearer-
    [​IMG]

So then I try to import it into iMovie and the thumbnails look exactly like the original progressive footage. Then I try exporting it and it looks even worse. Is there any way I can have the interlace footage "stick" so everything doesn't look like **** or am I gonna have to get it redone with the camera in interlaced mode.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

How come you're exporting back out to progressive again in your first steps?

And is your source video 720p? I'm confused as to why you're exporting as DV then.

3. Mattaut thread starter macrumors regular

Cause I'm just doubling the frame count in the first steps. I figured out how to convert from progressive to interlaced using this guide and since I don't have final cut or adobe I had to figure out how to do it using JES which is free software. Yes it's 720p, it was shot with a Sony DCR VX2000 miniDV camera and the files that were created when the footage was imported were DV files.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The VX2000 only records standard def (480i not 720p).

Lethal

5. Mattaut thread starter macrumors regular

My bad, I only have basic knowledge of how progressive and interlaced video works, I thought anything shot in progressive mode would be p not i.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the vx2000 doesn't shoot progressive...

it may have a similar "progressive" mode to the the PD150 which basically shoots a single-field "progressive" frame and is limited to 15 frames/sec. I don't count this.

edit: I just re-read your first post and it looks like you shot in the awful progressive mode... don't do that, the chip in the VX2000 is interlaced, shoot that way.

7. Mattaut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Does anyone have any idea why the interlaced movie that looks good turns back into its crappy original form when imported into iMovie?

8. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

You selling that Camera...

... is that why you're making movies of it? I could possibly save you some time and editing. :>)

9. Mattaut thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's a training video on how to use the camera, thanks though. The person who taped it before doesn't work here anymore so I have scheduled to tape it again on thursday if no solution has been found for my problem by then. If anyone has any info on why the movie is messing up please share it, even if you read this after thursday I am still curious as to why its happening.