Converting stereo sources to multichannel on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2ms, Oct 19, 2017.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I am interested in getting an Apple TV for occasional movie watching, but 90% of the time it would just be functioning in the same role as my Airport Express is — providing me the ability to play music through my home speaker system.

My music is made up of mp3s, tracks bought on iTunes, and tracks streamed through Apple Music.

Does anyone know if Apple TV provides the ability to send these stereo sources signals to multiple speakers in a home theater setup? Many Dolby devices have the ability to convert stereo sources to multichannel (Dolby ProLogic) audio in order to utilize the additional speakers of a home theater system. Any info on what the Apple TV might include in terms of these kinds of abilities would be greatly appreciated.

2. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

Your best bet is to employ a surround DSP "mode" in your home theater AVR. This is what most people do to pump stereo music to their surround speakers. You'll have to check your system manual for the specifics...

(Way back, tvOS used to have a bug where setting audio to "Dolby Digital" would pump stereo audio to the surrounds, but it has long since been fixed.)

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    :apple:TV is not trying to do what you are apparently hoping it will do.

The best way to accomplish that task is to use dedicated hardware like a Receiver or a system like those offered by Sonos.

Apple's Homepod may deliver on this wish but you appear likely to have the speakers already and just need the distributing hardware.

4. archer75 macrumors 68020

This is the job of your receiver to do, not the device.