Converting swf to anything usable

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by WRP, Feb 13, 2012.

1. WRP macrumors 6502a

Normally I am pretty resourceful. But for the life of me I haven't found anything free or cheap that will let me do this. Anyone know of something I can download and get this done for Lion? Lets keep this under $100.

2. WRP, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried After Effects. First frame turns into a 50% opaque still over the whole video on render. Audio doesn't come through either. File is fine in Premiere but no audio. Adobe is a steaming pile of crap.

3. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

It is a known issue that audio is not retained with SWF files when importing them in to Premiere Pro, and that is called out here in Help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSd79b3ca3b623cac97fa024001235833a568-8000.html

Keep in mind that SWF files are an output format and are not at all suited to be a format for acquisition.

4. WRP, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I got that. But I need to trim these things so someone can put them in a powerpoint. This shouldn't be rocket science. This is just dumb.

And don't worry... I'll just buy another application to do this on top of the $2600 I paid for the suite because your products can't use your own format. :rolleyes:

5. hsilver macrumors regular

6. WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up screen capturing the video in quicktime and plug my audio in to my audio out and recorded the audio with GarageBand. Then I muxed the 2 together and dealt with what I needed to.

7. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Again, SWF is not meant to be an acquisition format, and the software is not designed to treat SWF files as such. Feel free to make a feature request, though: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

8. crookedcharlie macrumors member

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

If I have an SWF movie file (one that plays in Quicktime with the Perian plugin) I use MPEG StreamClip to convert it to what ever I need.

It sounds like you had an SWF file that was a compiled FLA that consisted of vectors moving around the place, perhaps with interactivity. Different beast altogether. Screen capturing (as you did) is probably your best bet. If you want to spend money, get Camtasia or ScreenFlow.

I think the Flash decompiler will break the SWF down into its component elements for re-editing in Flash, but that's not what you are looking for.

10. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

11. Zaman49 macrumors newbie

If anyone is still looking for an SWF to video converter (just like I was for the past 3 hours or so...), I've stumbled upon this one: http://www.videotoflashmac.com/mac-swf-video-converter/

It costs a little, which is considerably less than the $400+ that Adobe is asking for its converter. I'd still prefer a freebie though, but there's little choice...

12. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Anything that is a free trial normally only gives you half of the full potential of what the software can do. So be careful before diving into these sort of advertisements.
    Remember you get nothing for nothing.:apple:

13. WRP thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is so inaccurate.

14. megapuppy macrumors newbie