Converting the new iMac into a TV too

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mox123, Aug 11, 2007.

1. mox123 macrumors 6502

I'm planning to get the new iMac. By default, it's already a TV/DVD combo. Is there any way i can hook up my cable box to it as well and make it a true TV? I read somewhere about the dirty-little secret about those "cable cards" that cable tv providers don't want us to know: it costs way less per month than actually renting the stupid cable box and it works like a PC card. Would the iMac have a slot for this? If not, any ohter ways that i can hook up cable box to it??

As soon as i get this figured out, i'm marching towards my local apple store to snap one of these babies up!!!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No cablecard slot. You can get something like an EyeTV that does HD. It's not a perfect solution.

3. Gav macrumors regular

This is one area you really do need a PC for.

4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

5. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

6. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome....thanks much for all the great advice!!! i went to my local apple store in chicago, and apparently all the stores in the city are out of stock for the 24" iMac!!!! i ordered it online instead and now they are quoting the shipping date of 9/25.:(

Do you guys know if there's any faster way of securing one??

7. Heeriill macrumors newbie

I can watch digital cable for free with a Slingbox?

It said:

ALL-ACCESS PASS (WITH NO MONTHLY FEES)

The Slingbox AV not only allows you to watch your home television virtually anywhere, but it also allows you to watch any cable subscriptions, special programming, or sports packages you may have – with no monthly fees. If it’s on your home TV, it’s on your computer and phone.

Yes or no, and if yes, isn't that illegal?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the sense that you don't have to pay for the functionality of Slingbox, yes. in the sense that you don't have to pay for the original cable subscription, no. Slingbox just streams an original signal to other devices in the home. It's up to you to get an original signal. If that original signal is some kind of over-the-air setup catching syndicated TV broadcasts, then it's completely free, but you only get what you'd get over the air on any other HDTV. If that original signal is cable television, you provide the cable television. If that original signal is a PVR, you have to get video content on the PVR somehow.

9. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

so which one would work better, slingbox or eyeTV2, or eyeTV hybrid?? i switched the wireless keyboard back to regular one for a faster ship date...