Converting to a iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, May 15, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm helping a friend convert over to a iMac and we bought a external USB hard drive to backup/copy his files from his PC to the new iMac.

The external USB hard drive if formatted to NTFS, is there some capability issues when trying to read/write files from this hard drive when it's being used on a Mac?

Should I format it for something more compatible? Most of the files are MS Word, Excel documents. Bunch of photos (.jpg's) and there are some Quickbooks for Contractor files but he's going to use Bootcamp & Windows 7 for that.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OS X can read NTFS volumes but it cannot write to them. FAT32 is readable and writable by both OSs so that should be your best choice. Keep in mind that FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit though so for bigger files it's not a good choice.

3. simsaladimbamba

exFAT might be better if you want read and WRITE access.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

With the installation of the free NTFS-3G driver or one of the commercial alternatives, the Mac can read, write, and format NTFS drives. Compatibility isses abound with exFAT. My recommendation is to install NTFS-3G.

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm just wanting that external USB hard drive to use just to get them moved over to the new iMac.

It will basically just house all of their files while the transfer is going on. I don't believe they have and files bigger than 4gb.

I'll format it to FAT32 on the iMac so that we'll be able to read/write any files that are transferred.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Where to get this NTFS-3G?

7. simsaladimbamba

8. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Does someone have some helpful advice tips transferring MS Outlook to iMac, for use on Apple Mail or Entourage? They don't have MS Outlook for the iMac but I guess that would be the best option, correct?

Other ideas?

9. larkost macrumors 6502a

1) The latests version of MS Office does include a product called Outlook, which can import .pst files (the file format used by the Windows version). I am not a big fan of it, and it is expensive, but it is possible.

2) If you have all of your email and contacts on an Exchange server, then you can just connect from Mail.app and it works. No need to transfer anything, and you can continue to use both computer simultaneously.

3) If you have everything local (boo!) and need to move that, and do no want to buy MS Office, then you can buy a tool like Emailchemy and use that to make the one-time conversion.

10. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816