Converting to AAC from MP3

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by TiffSunbacon, Jan 6, 2012.

1. TiffSunbacon macrumors newbie

I've got quite a number of tracks in iTunes ripped from CDs which are in mp3 format. Two questions: If I convert them to AAC in iTunes will I get an improvement in quality? If so, would re-importing from the CD choosing AAC format be even better quality (than the AACs converted from MP3s)?

2. simsaladimbamba

You will not get a better quality, if you transcode your .mp3 file to files using AAC, as you can't regain information, that has not been there to begin with in the .mp3 file.
    It is better to re-rip, if you want to use AAC.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Absolutely, Don't waste your time, you can't retrieve lost information...Bottom up versus top down I'm afraid....A mistake I learned the hard way more years ago than I care to remember....Re-rip, it's a pain, but it's worth it.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"If I convert them to AAC in iTunes will I get an improvement in quality?"

On the contrary -- you will almost certainly end up with AAC files that are of a _lesser quality_ than the mp3 originals.

As post #2 suggested, you're better off re-ripping the original source material, than you would be trying to "convert" already-compressed files.

Or -- if the mp3 files are "audibly pleasing" to you, just keep using them and don't worry about the fact that they're mp3 rather than AAC...

5. TiffSunbacon thread starter macrumors newbie

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

if you are going to re-rip all the CD's again to get AAC from MP3 then rip the CDs to a lossless format (ALAC or FLAC because they have metadata),
    you can then convert the lossless files to AAC/MP3 in one go (if you chose ALAC you can do it in itunes), keep the lossless version then in the future if you ever need to go from AAC to another format you don't have to waste your time re-ripping the CDs again, as you can just go eg ALAC to 'new format'
    as ALAC/FLAC to AAC is the same as CD to AAC, and (since storage space is getting ever cheaper) you would be set for potentially using lossless all the in the future.