Converting to Logic Express 8 from Sonar Producer 5

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ggm1960, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ggm1960 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to create some music in Logic Express 8 but my only frame of reference is Sonar.

I reached a point where I wanted to convert (mixdown, bounce, merge) a midi softsynth track to an audio track, "release" the softsynth and "archive" the midi data track. In short, make the softsynth track an audio track to free up the resources the softsynth is using.

I've done this quite frequently while working in Sonar. When I'm happy with my softsynth midi track I: Solo the midi track, select Edit - Bounce to Track(s) and an audio track appears. At that point I can "unload" the softsynth and archive the midi track.

In Logic Express 8 every reference I see to bouncing seems to want to bounce things to an external file rather than just a track within the project.

What am I missing, I can't get my head around this???? I don't want an external audio file, I want audio on a track in my project.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Look for the Freeze track function, this performs an offline bounce of the track to an audio version and takes the instrument offline.

It can be reversed for further editing.

3. ggm1960 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ggm1960 thread starter macrumors newbie

The freeze works great for the Logic soft instruments but there must be a different routing approach for Reason rewired instruments.

A second plea for help.

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Funny thing is, SONAR 5 Producer Edition has Freeze Synth too, accessible via right-click on the desired softsynth's MIDI track. I use that function all the time on my old laptop to free up CPU power, then unfreeze most of the tracks when I transfer it to my iMac for further editing and mixdown.

Isn't Reason an "external" synth, albeit in software? I'm not a regular Reason user, so I could very well be wrong, but I would think that any time SONAR (or Logic) has to record audio from any external source (software or hardware), it must be done in realtime. The MIDI track sends the note data to Reason via ReWire, and Reason's audio output comes back in via ReWire.

6. ggm1960 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I have a software synth track sounding the way I want it, here's what I would do in Sonar:
    Solo the midi track(s) I want to "mixdown" (convert, bounce) to an audio track then choose Edit - Bounce to Track(s) and pretty quickly I have a stereo or mono (depending on the option I chose) track of audio. This works equally well on Sonars own instruments, VST plugins, or rewired Reason tracks.

At that point I can unload the software synth, VST plugin, or shut down Reason and archive or even delete the midi track.

I've used Sonar (and Cakewalk sequencers in general) for so long it just seems to come as second nature. I suppose it's why I'm having so much trouble converting over but I'd like to learn how to do all this as quickly and easily as I can in Sonar.

7. ggm1960 thread starter macrumors newbie

No one has knowledge of mixing a Reason rewire track to an audio track in Logic Express???

This is so weird, just can't see how to get midi softsynths mixed down to audio tracks. Don't Logic users do that?

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Reason ReWired is a streamed audio track, route the output of the ReWire track to the input or an audio track and hit record...

...or am I missing something obvious...?

I'm not a Logic user, but I have done this on Protools. You may need to use a Buss, but the principle remains.

Mute all the other tracks in Reason rather than solo, as that allows recording of FX from reason too.

9. ggm1960 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've found an informative video on youtube which helps to explain and yes it appears using a bus is the way to go. I'll be trying it soon.