Converting to Mac, and looking for buying Advice (Which MBP should I aim for)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bratboy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Bratboy macrumors member

Hi All.

Am new on here, so apologies in advance if you've read the request before.

I am looking to make the leap from PC to Mac. And in the process, I was very impressed by the portablility, and resolution of the MBP 13". However, some friends of mine who own MBP's seem to have 15" and recommend my getting one of those (some recommending it based on spec, some others for bigger screen, or both).

I intend of doing lots of the usual, surfing the net, using Skype, MS Office, etc... But my main reason for moving to Mac is so as to edit/mix/create audio tracks from exisiting CD's/iTunes(Logic), capturing Video and editing that (Final Cut), as well as using Adobe's Creative Suite Products to edit photos, and create a website. (I'm not a Pro... hoping/planning on learning as I go)

Considering the investment for the hardware is substantial, (as is the Software), was wondering if anyone out there might be able to advise on what you think would be the best machine for someone new into this foray; that would handle what I want it to do, and also have longevity.

As mentioned, was initially considering getting High Spec MBP 13", but customise it to have a "500GB HD. Alternatively, the 2.66 15" MBP (also customised to have a 500GB HD). Do any of you think those are good options? Or should I just go for the top end of the 15" MBP models (which already come with 500GB.

Looking at getting it within the next month or so.
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

b.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should wait until at least tomorrow. Rumors of a refresh are abound.

3. Bratboy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Miles

Been reading the rumours and expectations... and was told that new spec'ed models were due out shortly when I popped into one of the London Resellers (they were out of all 15", and only had low spec 13, or 17 still in stock).

Definitely holding out till new stuff comes out, but still curious which type I should go for... suppose I should re-ask when the new models/specs are announced/unveiled.

b.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I've heard the "rule of thumb" batted around that the i5 is good for Final Cut Express and the i7 is for Final Cut Pro so if you're seriously getting into video, let that be your guide.

5. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Any current or future Macbook Pro will do quite well for the tasks you require. A larger hard drive will be beneficial to you, but extra processor speed and so forth will not necessarily make your experience any faster in the real world.

6. Bratboy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your feedback. Very much appreciated.

Obviously, with the news from yesterday's updates, I will definitely be getting the 15". But now comes my being torn between the i5, or the i7 (not necessarily because of the processor speed, but more to do about the 256 vs 512mb Video Memory.

What will be the noticable difference between if opting for the 256 instead of the 512 (or vice versa)?

Thanks again

b.

7. jozu macrumors newbie

I would say rather than getting the i7/512mb you would be better served to get a i5 2.4 and upgrade it with a 7200rpm drive and a HD display. The higher resolution display, to me, is crucial for the type of work you mentioned and the higher speed drive will give a big boost when working with large files.