converting to mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by radionickhead, Sep 9, 2008.

1. radionickhead macrumors regular

I've posted previously on a different thread, but not on my behalf..
    I'd like to ask some other questions now..
    I'm on a 1000 EURO budget / ~800GBP ..I could get a basic macbook with my student uni discount for about 650.. I'd be using it for uni / and audio recording (demos)..but I'm a confessed counterstriker and I play quake 3 occasionally..So im not looking for a gaming beast - would the basic macbook suffice? Im aware the video card is integrated..
    I was waiting for this day to arrive and hopefully the new macbooks wouldve been released..Are they expected soon? I could probably muscle out without a laptop for another month or so..if it would mean a cheaper deal or a better macbook.
    Another question I have that most of you will probably flame me for - IS it as easy finding mac software (that should normally be purchased) as it is finding PC software - *cough* "illegally" ? *cough* ..torrents/uni hubs/ e.t.c
    I dont want to spend all my budget on a mac and then have to spend another 300-400 on software :|
    thanks..
    please dont flame me for asking an honest question

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

To answer the first question... if you can make do with low settings on many of the newer games (Quake 4 on low settings works just fine on mine), you'll be fine.

As for the update issue, some speculate October, it's up to you if you wanna wait a month or so more, I'd say go for it.

There's a ton of free open-source software for the mac.
    This is as good website to start with. http://www.opensourcemac.org/
    There's plenty of others, just google it.

The availability of mac software on torrents is limited when compared to the Windows selection, though there are some very good torrents around.

As for prices, I've heard no rumors pertaining to the pricing of the next generation macbook. My guess is it'll remain about the same.

3. Cudadown macrumors regular

I have a iMac 24" 2.4 and a 1 month old macbook 2.4 ghz model. So far, I have played Counterstrike, Wow, Eve and Spore with absolutely no problems. The all run very well. I will be adding another 2 gigs of ram for a total of 4 soon and that will improve things a bit also. Don't worry, the macbook can handle most things you throw at it but it is not a monster gaming rig so some people will need more horsepower. But as long as I can play most games at a decent frame rate I am happy.

For your second question, Yea. You will be getting some flames from that one. I could not give you advice on that but I will say.... I see a ton of mac and pc software on Giganews server but would never condone anything illegal. Also, don't forget you can run most windows programs better then most windows PC's of equal hardware.

4. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the helpful and flame-free replies so far :]

I was referring to a reduce in price of the current macbooks , specifically macbook pro as that seems more of a decent investment. But the price tag scares me :|
    I've literally spent 6-7 hours a day the past week , reading on these forums as well as others concerning the whole Mac vs PC debate..
    I'm ready for the conversion but not sure my wallet is - when I know I could get a "beast" of a pc laptop for the cost of a macbook(basic).
    But I know that if I go with a pc laptop it'll inevitably slow down sufficiently by the first 3 months - and every 6 months I'd have to format if I want a clean system..

P.S: Thanks consultant - just checked your link...so I should expect about 40fps or so with counterstrike I guess?
    I checked a few youtube videos and I saw it at 60fps..
    the thing that bugs me though is that even if I go mac basic , ill need apple care atleast (judging from advice I've read) so that puts me down another 100-150.
    Oh another question(sorry for the random distribution): ebay applecare from a trusted ebay user would be suggested? - also theres no UK/US versions of applecare I assume apple care is universal? also - I've read that usually the macbooks are with 1 year warranty (which im assuming is basically 1 free year of applecare?) so I could effectively purchase apple care on the 364th day of the year and I'd be covered for 2 more years? OR does applecare cover MORE than the warranty?
    again sorry for the random layouts - and any new replies to the post, id still appreciate some more input on my above questions.
    Thanks

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Well, the prices will go down a tad when the current generation macbooks are put into refurb.

I see your point about the PC thing. Though I don't see why your PC system should slow down after a couple of months if it's adequately taken care of. Me personally I've never experienced this, but maybe I've just been really lucky all these years, despite prowling some very questionable sites from time to time :)rolleyes:).

If I could choose again, I'd go for a desktop replacement Vaio. Having said that, I don't regret getting the macbook at all, it's a fab computer.
    EDIT: Upsides are definitely no registry clutter / bother with anti virus / ad / spyware programs and badly programmed uninstallers.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yes, the first year is basically AppleCare, and you can wait until the 364th day to purchase it, and you'll be fine. Buy it from anyone you trust, which could include an eBay seller. If you're planning on waiting and buying on eBay, I'd keep an eye out on the prices for a while, and then jump when there's a good deal.

7. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for clearing that up Ntombi, it somewhat puzzled me I thought maybe the 1 year warranty covered less..
    can I ask why you'd choose the vaio? what didn't cut it for you with the mac?

-I study computer science - as far as I know I can emulate and run machine code on a mac, or java editors e.t.c - worst case scenario I can boot windows.
    So im pretty sure my programming needs are covered.
    -Counterstrike atleast but id like to play some newer games - so that would mean macbook pro
    -audio recording? I know reason and live ableton have mac releases..(flame alert) torrent releases of them are easy to find? and a macbook basic could smoothly run reason/live ableton including midi keyboard e.t.c ?

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I'll probably end up getting the vaio in a month or so.

Some software that I need is windows only, so I'd have to run XP or Vista with boot camp. Though I'm not sure if I want to invest in windows vista (and subsequently, a bigger HD, as I'll need that too) for this computer, as it's not covered by warranty any longer. If it craps out on me I'll have blown way too much money on it.

Hence I'm considering the Vaio; because it has the screen size I like, and in my perception it's good value for money, and it looks damn good. Since I personally don't prefer either OS X or Windows, it strikes me as a good deal.