Converting VHS to mac (without roxio or elgato)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tallchris, Dec 11, 2010.

1. tallchris macrumors member

Hey, apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, this is my first time making a thread :)

I have a friend that says they will lend me their video capture device (link at bottom). It has a CD with software on it but it is windows only, I was wondering if there was is any mac software that i could use instead. I'm aware of roxio, and elgato's products but to be honest was hoping to find one that was free (or close enough) as the hardware seems to be the same/similar. Any ideas?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Video...BSCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292081080&sr=8-1

2. -DH macrumors 65816

If you have a DV camcorder (or can borrow one),, that's all you'll need. Connect a VHS player's analog outputs to the DV camcorder's analog inputs, then connect a Firewire cable from the camcorder's Firewire port (may also be labeled DV, iLink, IEEE-1394) to your Mac. Set the camcorder to VTR (play) mode. Press play on the VHS player - you can then capture the VHS footage in iMovie, FCE, FCP or QuickTime Pro.

-DH

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

4. tallchris thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the suggestions,

My macbook is few years old now so it has a firewire :)

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Just to add a bit to this. If, by chance, the camcorder is on the older side and does not allow for passthru, then you will need to record your VHS footage from your VCR to a miniDV tape and then import that tape into iMove, etc. Otherwise, the method DH outlined is correct.

6. reddevils9119 macrumors newbie

I too have an easycap, so I went through the same problems you did. Unfortunately, the easycap itself is going to seriously limit the quality of your videos. If you can get your hands on a dazzle or something you'd be better off, but if you're going to use the easycap device you can capture with a program called easycap viewer: http://bentrask.com/easycap/