converting video files to mp3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sokr915, May 6, 2009.

1. sokr915 macrumors newbie

i was just wondering what the easiest way to convert video files to an mp3 file on a macbook?
    thanks

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

MP3 is an audio codec (part of the MPEG-1 standard), not an video codec. What are you trying to do, extract the audio from a video or convert a video to another video format?

3. sokr915 thread starter macrumors newbie

i can download the videos from like youtube and i wanna take the music from the videos so i can put them on my itunes

4. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

http://media-convert.com/convert/

Choose the file you want to convert, then for "Output Format" choose the mp3 selection. I just did this yesterday with a video. Worked great!
    Good luck!

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

In Garageband (09 at least), you can add a movie which will then be separated into an audio track and a video track. You can then just delete the video track and use the Share menu to send it to iTunes and it will convert it along the way to aac by default, but it can be set to mp3 as well. The movie has to be a format Garageband will read, of course, which might not include wmv or avi's.

I did the exact same thing you want to do with TubeTV (with Perian) to download and convert a YouTube video into a QuickTime format (specifically for the iPhone), and then added the movie to garageband and just deleted the video track as described above.

6. sokr915 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Create a new project, and then drag it into the left hand "track" side of the of the main prject window. Otherwise, in Garagband 09, when you are creating a new project, one of the options is for a video project (which is what I may have been in when I did it, I'm not at home atm).

8. CyrusOz macrumors regular

Easier said than done, I've never used garage band before and I can't figure out how to delete the video track but leave the audio track

9. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Extract the audio with Quicktime Pro and export as mp3

10. forester54 macrumors member

forester54