Converting video files to VCD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Hugh, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

How/What are the steps needed to convert any video file to a VCD format, so I can watch it on my DVD? What software do I need.

I used to know how to do this on a G4, however that was years ago and I haven't got a clue. I am assuming that with a Intel machine it's different anyways.

Thanks!

Hugh

2. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Whoa buddy...

VCDs are nasty stuff, MPEG1, so it's gonna be VHS quality. Most DVD players cannot play VCDs.... Sorry!

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

You'll want to create an SVCD or XSVCD disc instead... that is a MPEG2 formatted CD and will play in almost any DVD player. There are tradeoffs in resolution that you can do for longer length content.

ffmpegX can create the XSVCD and SVCD ( their link is broken for that, but you can read about on the VCD page ) formats for you. It's a bit tricky and requires alot of fine tuning, and then it may not even work on your player.

I used to make 480x480 SCVDs all the time from my Tivo shows ( already the native resolution and format ).

HOWEVER, you might look into just buying a new DVD-R drive They're only like $40 US these days. It will work natively with iDVD, be better quality, more reliable, and will really make you alot happier.