Converting video (.mov, etc) for the PS3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zen, Jul 3, 2008.

1. zen macrumors 65816

zen

I've just bought a PS3 and am having a grand time streaming video to it using Medialink.

But of course the PS3 doesn't support .mov files, and is a bit particular when it comes to .avi etc.

My question is, what's the best way of converting a video to a format that the PS3 will accept, but which won't effect the quality?

For example, I've grabbed some HD trailers off the Apple site (which are h.264 .mov files). The PS3 won't recognise them. I tried converting them to DivX, but even when the settings were adjusted, the quality went downhill.

The tools I have are: Quicktime Pro, Handbrake, ffmpegX, mpegstreamclip, DivX converter. I've got Perian installed.

Any suggestions? I understand there is a Windows utility that will take .mkv files and remux them into a .vob that the PS3 will read.

2. evan g macrumors regular

Yeah VisualHub should work, but if you don't want to pay money (like me :cool:), then you can use iSquint.

It converts whatever I want into a .mp4 and I use h.264. You can adjust the size and quality and stuff, and once it's done, I'd load it up onto my 1GB jumpdrive I got a Best Buy for about $10, and it works. I can even load full length movies that are only like a half a gig, even though they may be compressed a bit :). But don't get me wrong it will stay the quality you need it to be.

3. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I converted an HD .mkv using VisualHub. I set it to mp4, Go nuts quality, .h264 encoding, and stereo sound. The PS3 played it with MediaLink from my Mac Pro.

Supposedly you could set it to pass through so it wouldn't have to transcode the video, but I could never get it to work.