Converting Video to MP4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Miko, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Miko macrumors member

Hi, i'm planning on buying an ipod touch 3g in September and its the first ipod i've had for a long time, so i'm wondering which program is best to convert videos such as avi or any other format taken off of a DVD to mp4 format which I can then put onto the ipod touch.

I would love no or very little quality loss, and fast conversion if possible.

I have heard of HandBrake, is that the best 1 or what other programs are good alternatives?

2. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

i used Videora. i converted an HD anie series and the quality was amazing on my iPod. it wasnt grainy like some other converters i used

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Handbrake if your using a Mac. You can make the quality as good as you want the size to be. Remember, you want a viewable experience but don't want a 30 min. episode to be 500MB.

4. Xavier macrumors 68020

5. Master Debater macrumors member

+1 for Videora. Recommended features for Normal Mode (great quality, low size):

Video Format: Old [Important! 'New' option doesn't even work on the iPod.]
    Video Size: iPod
    Video Quality: Best
    Enhance Quality: On
    Audio Quality: Best

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So with iSquint or Videora do you also need to use Handbrake or something else, or are either of those sotware solutions self contained when going from DVD to iPod?

7. pilotrtc macrumors regular

8. kunal123 macrumors member

I also recommend videora.

If you are using videora convert it to h264 at 640*480 'cause if you convert it to 480*320, when you see it at fullscreen the movie will get slightly blurred.

9. chrismars macrumors newbie

Is there a Windows alternative to Handbrake? I have tried iPodME but that seemed complicated and I didn't know which settings would have been the most appropriate to convert an .avi file to fit my wonderful (but slower since 3.0) iPhone 3G.

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

The Windows alternative to Handbrake is......wait for it.......Handbrake.