Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miko

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Hi, i'm planning on buying an ipod touch 3g in September and its the first ipod i've had for a long time, so i'm wondering which program is best to convert videos such as avi or any other format taken off of a DVD to mp4 format which I can then put onto the ipod touch.

I would love no or very little quality loss, and fast conversion if possible.

I have heard of HandBrake, is that the best 1 or what other programs are good alternatives?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
So with iSquint or Videora do you also need to use Handbrake or something else, or are either of those sotware solutions self contained when going from DVD to iPod?

kunal123

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Dehradun,India
I also recommend videora.

If you are using videora convert it to h264 at 640*480 'cause if you convert it to 480*320, when you see it at fullscreen the movie will get slightly blurred.

chrismars

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Handbrake if your using a Mac. You can make the quality as good as you want the size to be. Remember, you want a viewable experience but don't want a 30 min. episode to be 500MB.

Is there a Windows alternative to Handbrake? I have tried iPodME but that seemed complicated and I didn't know which settings would have been the most appropriate to convert an .avi file to fit my wonderful (but slower since 3.0) iPhone 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.