Converting video8 to digital

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by spurs78, Jun 12, 2014.

1. spurs78 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been searching google and cannot find a simple solution to my problem wi out having to spend 100s of dollars.

I have a sony handycam video 8 camcorder. It does NOT have a FireWire port, just Svideo outputs (analogue video and audio out).

I have a Macbook 10.9, only USB ports.

Can someone PLEASE advise me on how to digitize my many precious memories from the 80's onto my Mac at a budget?

Thanks,

Spurs78

2. spurs78 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

That elgato unit will degrade the image noticeably. If you don't want any visible degradation, look at the Canopus 110.

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    The "without spending hundreds of dollars" part implies you should use a service to do this.

There's not going to be some cheap option if quality is a goal. "Precious" implies that quality is a goal.

Share the idea with everyone you know and see if they- or maybe someone they know might- have a good piece of equipment for this very thing. Then rent it or borrow it.

You might also be able to call local video studios and see if they'll rent you some quality hardware for a few days so that you can do this (well).

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

He can buy a used canopus 110 on eBay from a reputable seller, then resell it when he is finished with his project. He won't lose more than $30-40.

6. monokakata, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

How many tapes do you have?

Actually there is no way to do this without sending in the low three digits. Even if you were to convert the tapes for free you still need to store and backup the the files and that means at least three disk drives or an on-line backup service

Buying used equipment is good, then you re-sell it and the cost is not much.

The equipment suggest is OK but one other option is to use an old DV camera as a "pass though". You put s-video in and out comes Firewire in DV format. If you can get a cheap DV cam they work very well for converters. DV is also the best digital format for standard definition video. It does not use intraframe compression and does not have so many artifacts. But the file sizes are big.

But again, how many tapes? Do you have a couple hundred or just a half dozen?

----------

No, it also has Thunderbolt port. You can buy a Firewire to TB adapter from Apple and a few others now.

8. spurs78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the excellent response! I have about 50 tapes. Think I'll just buy the decent equipment and sell it on once done. You're right, the quality does matter. Appreciate it, thanks.