Converting videos for iTunes/ATV etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZMacintosh, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

I have alot of video files from over the past few years ive backed up to my machine and using a early 2008 MacPro, i wanted to start converting the couple hundred video files into my itunes library to stream to my atv and also be able to put onto my ipod touch in the future.

Now I cant seem to convert AVIs in handbrake or alot of other files such as MPG/MPEG/MPEG-4 movies in Handbrake.

I can use my Quicktime Pro to do it...

but im wondering if there is an app that can do batches at a time?

thank you!:D

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Converting takes a LONg time.

Before I say this let me try it out first...

Alright, it works beautifully. I'm not sure if regular quicktime can trim video or even select portions of it -- but in QT Pro all you have to do is:

-Open the movie file, select the entire thing (move the start and end markers to each end of the line)
    -Click the video portion of the window, and drag it off to the desktop. This will create a file roughly 2MB in size. It is essentially an alias to the movie. You can re-name it, and drag it into iTunes.

Remember that this is not a movie itself, just an alias, so don't delete the movie it points to. I just tried it from an external HDD on an AVI movie "The Bourne Surpremacy". It played in iTunes alright -- but I don't use iTunes.

I do use front row, and for that it's even simpler. Create an alias to the folder containing the movies (if they're not already in your home folder's "Movies" directory). Drag the alias to the "movies" directory in your home folder. Front Row will read it and be directed to all the movies in the folder it points to.

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

But I don't think that will work for putting the videos onto the iPod Touch, not sure about AppleTV either

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

not for touch, but I don't see why apple TV would have a problem. I will admit I don't own an apple TV, and therefore don't know how it works, but assuming it streams from iTunes to your TV -- and those aliases are in iTunes, it should, in theory, work.

Try it out, or go a head and do a full conversion of each file. All I know is it takes far too long for me to even attempt it on this old imac. Maybe a newer one, or a mac pro can handle it a little better.