iPod touch Converting Vidoes on Windows

milszils

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I am running xp and am getting my touch very soon and wanted to be prepared.
what can i use on windows to convert videos?

cwolves

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
use MeGUI if you know what you're doing. You actually *GASP* have control over everything!

I posted the best possible settings that work on an ipod using x264 a little while ago in another video thread.

Comment

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
i do have videora but the file size is always very big and it takes a VERY long time to convert.
What settings do you use?
*jaw drop*

There is a Videora for iPod touch specifically?!

Man, I was converting videos to M4V, then had to use iTunes' converting (which takes FOREVER) to put movie on. It took iTunes ELEVEN hours to convert Scarface!

But now I can eliminate that last, painstaking stage. :)

Comment

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
I use dvdfab to rip dvds bc its free and easy to use. And then I use handbrake to convert them. I've never tried to convert anything else but I will say it takes me about 5 hours to convert a dvd to an ipod format. the nice thing about handbrake though is that it has a iphone setting that works just fine for the ipod touch and you can still tweak it past that if you want to change a few things.

Comment

i am mac lovin

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
For videora, can anyone suggest how to convert the videos?
Should I use the method that involves no custom settings (for experts)?
Because I converted a video through that method, and it was
transferred into the iPod successfully, but it won't play on the ipod.
the video player closes by itself.

I downloaded a free TV show episode from itunes, that actually
works fine on the ipod after I added it.

Comment

walkingalong

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Try them all, it won't take many time.
I agree.

I had a whole review thing typed up but lost it cuz of an error. So to make a long story short. I've had errors with various less common file types like MKV with most of the above mentioned software (a lot with videora (cant re-encode mp4) and super)and didnt try out the other non-free ones. If i had to recommend one of the free ones, its MeGUI assuming you dont mind a learning curve.

The softare I recommend is TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress; but it's not free.

If all you're gonna do is convert files for the ipod, I dont know if $99.95 is quite worth it with all that free software out that that works well enough.

But if you have other conversion needs, and want software that can pretty much take anything you throw at it (with directshow), produces very high quality output, has pre-encoding cut and edit and filter features, seperate batch encoding, and is rock solid with pretty much no errors, I cant recommend it enough.

Comment