Converting VOB files to DV for simpletons...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AlWhite, Feb 9, 2009.

1. AlWhite macrumors newbie

Im on a MBP and running, Mac OS X, Intel Dual core2.

Help i thought I had finally found what i needed with stramclip then I read that it cant be installed on a MacBook Pro?

I have some old wedding video (VOB files) of my brothers that I need to convert to DV files so I can edit them in IMove, I first tried converting to Mpeg-4 files (in HandBrake, which i had trouble with also) but then read that it is best to use DV files in IMovie. This really shouldn't be as difficult as it has become, I am ready to pull out my hair with frustration, Please ..... any advice you can give me will be appreciated!!!

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Did you try it with mpegstreamclip? I've never heard that it can't be installed on a MacBook Pro.

Youa re right it is best ot use DV video in iMovie.

Since it is an unencrypted DVD, you sould be able to select all the VOBs directly with mpegstreamclip and export them to a single DV file. Be sure and preserve the interlacing and use 16bit 48KHz audio.
    Give it a try and let us know.

3. AlWhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried the DV conversion with Steamclip, do you know if I also need to buy MPEG-2 playback? i have been looking to avoid it but I guess if its my only option....

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Convert to DV -> Edit in iMovie -> author and burn with iDVD.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

Yes. Didn't you see that on the MPEG Streamclip website? It's pretty darned hard to miss.

-DH

6. juancinco12 macrumors newbie

i was having the same problem with getting my video footage onto iMovie. I downloaded the MPEG Streamclip, but for some reason now, parts of the footage come out in fastforward (only a minimal amount towards the end of the clip). Is there anything that i can do to stop this? thanks

7. superwoman macrumors regular

ffmpegX can do it, without the need to purchase the Apple MPEG-2 Component.