Converting .VOB to a format supported by Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robivy64, Jul 6, 2009.

1. robivy64 macrumors member

Hey folks,

I have an unusual problem: I am trying to convert .VOB files from a DVD to a format I can edit in Final Cut and upload to youtube.

I understand that this request is a little taboo, but I am not using it for piracy. I record arcade gameplay through an RGB converter into a DVD recorder and upload the videos to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU20GR1y2ck

I was able to use some tools on my old laptop to tackle this, but i'm having some difficulty on the mac. Any programs you guys recommend?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Use MPEG Streamclip. Its fee and a great app. Search macupdate.com or versiontracker.

3. holidaypf macrumors member

You may need the mpeg-2 converter. I used it with Quicktime Pro recently. Might need it for streamclip too, if I remember the notice I got when I tried converting an mpeg-2 clip with just streamclip.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

4. robivy64 thread starter macrumors member

MPEG streamlip is a great app, thanks! I am still getting the "unsupported file" error in FCE. I am new to using the program so it is probably a noobish mistake I am making.

5. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I just went through a similar nightmare only mine was even worse because it was an HVDVD (not a normal DVD---still have no idea why I was given a HVDVD in the first place)

If all else fails you can do what I ultimately had to do, I used SnapzProX to record the screen capture of it while it was playing on my desktop.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Dont use a DVD recorder if you intend to actually edit the footage.

Thats your first problem.

7. robivy64 thread starter macrumors member

So here is why I have to use a DVD recorder: The arcade boards I am recording from do not output a clean 60Hz refresh. I am simply passing the RGB video through an RGB converter connected through my arcade machine's harness. My capture card on my PC does not detect any signal, and some DVD recorders I have tried to not either. I would rather not use a DVD recorder, but it is my only option in this application.

I happened to have found this cheap Magnavox DVD recorder I had laying around that works pretty well, and I was able to convert and edit the video on a PC (using chopperXP and VirtualDub + editing software).