Converting WMA to ACC for iTunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gray-Wolf, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I have some songs in WMA format on a CD, but it's not an audio CD. In older versions of iTunes, you could import and convert. In iTunes 8 there is no longer the option, and when I try the Add to Library feature, nothing happens. Any ideas?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you using OS X or Windows? There are lots of options on Windows... you're more limited in OS X. EasyWMA is one, but it's not free ($10). I'm not sure of a free one -- Max for instance does a variety of formats, including WAV, but not WMA.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think you can do it if you have the Quicktime Pro and the plugin that will let you play WMA files in QuickTime.

4. Gray-Wolf thread starter macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I'm using OS X. the last time I did it, was on a windows machine. :(

I really wanted to add these songs back to the library.

5. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

The mac version of itunes does not convert wma's. Only the windows version of itunes supports this feature. I convert all of my wma's in xp through itunes (fusion).

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

AudialHub lists support for WMA files. It can transcode several audio formats.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AudialHub seems pretty nice. These are the same people who made iSquint and VisualHub, right? (Two excellent pieces of software). The only mild contrary thing is that Max does almost everything except WMA, and EasyWMA is quite a bit less than AudialHub. But otherwise, it looks excellent.

If this is a one time deal, see if you can't locate a windows computer with iTunes on it, with which you can do the conversion, or for that matter a Windows computer on which you can use any program to do the conversion.

8. Gray-Wolf thread starter macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I'm probably going to have to do it. There's only 6 songs, so not worth buying a program. Oh well, guess I have to dig out the old desk top from the back of the closet. :( bummer

9. ChrisMc73 macrumors member

ChrisMc73

What sense does this make for Apple to not allow us to convert WMAs on a Mac OSX machine, if they are all excited about us switching to Mac, why not allow us to switch our music too? WTF?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The Windows version of iTunes hooks into Microsoft's WMA codecs, bundled with Windows. These codecs are not present in OS X.

11. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

I think All2Mp3 can do it. At least to Mp3, which, IMO, always sounds nicer than ACC anyway