Convince me: 11" MBA 128GB + iPhone 5 vs. Monster Gaming Rig.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eperrine, Sep 30, 2011.

1. eperrine macrumors newbie

I'll keep this short and sweet! I need advice from you, as described in the title, what should i choose?

I am a law university student, and with my budget, i must choose between a 11" MBA 128GB and the upcoming "iPhone 5" (which i will be buying at the same time) verses a really powerful, gaming computer, so i can play all the amazing and potentially addicting MMO's coming out, along with watching movies, doing school work, browsing the internet and maybe some light video editing.

I currently have a Nokia E71 and a Toshiba net book, which i am both unhappy with.

Both options have their advantages, and disadvantages. I would really love your opinions on what i should do!

Thank you so much for your time :)

P.S. I know the iPhone 5 hasn't been announced yet, but just base it from the most promising rumors going around!

2. AussieJoe10 macrumors newbie

Hmmmmm....

Sounds like you've already made your mind up...'powerful computer...amazing and potentially addicting MMOs...watching movies' etc. Stop wasting our time!

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Gaming?

Get real, you know the phone and the MBA is the sensible choice for your studies and your eyesight....If you want a gaming rig, well do it. Its a no brainer for me.

4. eperrine thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, i really do not appreciate your rudeness. I was asking for opinion, and i asked kindly. As they say, if you have nothing nice to say, please don't bother commenting at all.

5. eperrine thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i'm pushing more towards the IP5 and MBA, since it'll be more suitable for my studies, and great for portability. But then again, i won't be able to game! All constructive opinions are still welcome!

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Make up your own mind. These kinds of threads are entirely pointless. It depends on what you want to do with your computer and your money.

7. eperrine thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, it does, but that doesn't mean i cannot get any constructive opinions from others on this forum. I thought this forum community was partly to aid others in their potential purchases? Or am i wrong.

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

It is, but not when the decision is between 2 entirely different types of computing, because nobody here can read your mind. If its just between 2 computers for the same use we can help, but not when the use cases are so radically different. Personally, as a Uni Student, I would get the MacBook Air (And in 2010, I did just that - although I also have a Mac Pro for heavy lifting), just because carrying it around all day is fantastic. But it all depends on how much gaming matters to you, and that isn't something anybody here can tell you. Same as we can't decide what computing you want to do for the forseeable, which makes constructive input on this thread rather hard. We either need a lot more info (any particular games, any particular genre etc) to see if theres a hope they'd run on an Air, and also a guess as to how important they are to your life before we can help.

9. eperrine thread starter macrumors newbie

+1, first post, and forum user, that has actually been understanding, and told me where i went wrong, and explained your reasoning, instead of critiquing everything i say or do on here. I apoligise for the lack of information. I've decided that i'll be going with the Mac and iPhone :). I'll be better off with them, in several ways. Thanks for the help. Thread closed.

10. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Seems like you've already decided on the MBA and need some justification. I was in the same situation 2 years ago, I went with gaming PC since I like playing FPS and racing games. Don't regret that one bit. My next computer will be a Mac since I don't game much anymore.

Remember, PC can do what a MBA can + gaming. If portability isn't required, I would def. go with PC.

11. Interzone macrumors newbie

Go with the Air and the iPhone. I'm going to be a bit of a curmudgeon and say that games are a huge waste of time, especially for a law student. Go out and hike/club/whatever in your free time. The sooner you let go, the better.

This is coming from a former hardcore RPG nut :)

12. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Get the Air, iPhone, and add in a PS3 or XBox 360 for your gaming needs. There are plenty of addicting online multiplayer games there. Sure, not as many MMOs, but still good, quality games.

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

air + iphone... its a beautiful match. besides you are a law student. you need to focus on the laws not games xD

how is law school BTW, i was considering it when i was young, but pharmacy just "overruled" it haha [mm yeah that wasn't very funny was it]:p

14. gman901 macrumors 6502a

You could get the Air and later on get a Thunderbolt GPU dock if and when it becomes available.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My personal opinion is that an 11" screen isn't large enough. I'd get a 13" Air, or the gaming rig. Or make your own gaming rig, and use the money saved to get an iPhone.

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

law school? and you have time for games? you are a smarter person than me :)

i'd want an ipad for reading and an mba for writing (ipad and external keyboard also works well). the iphone wouldn't add anything to my life. i'd get a cheap android and put the money towards an ipad or external monitor.

bytheway, i used to be a big time gamer too. no more. a few games of chess a day at most. no time, and no more desire :)

17. bearsalley34 macrumors member

I think he meant it as a joke