Convince me on what I want...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Buschmaster, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Read here if you want the story
    --------------------
    So guys, here's the dilemma, and it's a very good dilemma mind you...

I'll be saving up quite a bit of money and then spending it on myself. I've earned it, so don't tell me to save it unless you have something that I'm saving it for ;) I spent the summer working 40 hours a week at my main full time job and would often go home and code all night, so I'm taking a good chunk of the code profits and spending it on myself.
    ---------------------

Read here if you don't care ;)

I'll probably be spending about $2,000 possibly even $3,000 and it'll probably be not until Late November or early December. The only likely exception to this would be if I were to get something less expensive I might get it a bit sooner.

Here's my list of possible things I might want:
    iMac - ($1600-$1700 or so with dev. discount)
    New sweet TV + Apple TV ($1200? + $229)
    New lens(es) for my Pentax K110D ($300-$1000ish?)
    New Pentax SLR + New Lenses maybe? ($1200ish?)
    Nice Amp for my guitars (~$200 used)

The tough thing is... what do I get? The iMac would be a write-off. I suppose the best case scenario would be that I would keep working on apps and make a bunch more money so I can get eventually all of these?

I was pretty damn set on the iMac but whenever I walk by a huge TV it's really hard to think that I could get one of those instead... At the same time it's hard to think about all the smaller stuff I could get.

Heeeeeeelp! Also, if anyone knows of a place I can get good deals on TVs that would be great!

Edit:
    Also, if I do get an iMac I'd probably wait until the next bump/revision. Also, the possibilities of price reductions would be nice. I'm pretty set on 24", though.

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Sink your money in some good lenses, always a good investment, get a good prime and a good tele, some days i wonder if i threw too much money away on my Nikon 70-200 f2.8, but on the days i use it, I realise it was money well spent, remember it's the Lens and not the camera that produces the best quality images (helps if its on a Nikon D2Xs of course) ;)
    Get the Glass, Maybe upgrade the Camera :)

and Buy a nice watch ;)

3. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

The iPhone is the nicest watch I could ask for ;)

I would like to get some nicer lenses. The only reason I would REALLY want to upgrade my body would be for the SDM lenses... Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with my bodies available.

4. muldul macrumors 6502

what i do when i want allot of stuff that i can't afford in one hit, is buy the most expensive and biggest first and slowly make your way down the list. Or else you just end up with stuff you wish you hadn't got and had got the other thing instead.

5. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

Get a MacPro, lowest end, and buy a screen somewhere else bc it's cheaper. Then get EyeTV to add television and then you won't need AppleTV. If you get good prices, you will have a beast computer and even some left over for other stuff.

6. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I'll have a space hog. ;)

The cheapest Mac Pro in the ADC store is still $1,839. That's more expensive than the iMac and I haven't even gotten a monitor yet... Plus those things are mammoth compared to iMac's.

7. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster