Convince me that my temperatures are "OK"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Feb 26, 2011.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

First of all, I DO consult with MROOGLE! I am well aware of the past posts concerning temperatures.

Now, let me describe my testing setup.

First, I boot up the machine and let it sit for 15 minutes so that all the internal components "warm up" properly. Allows for the system to normalize with ambient temperatures, etc...

------------

Then I continue to run for 15 with ZERO applications open.

My average idle temperature is 37 C. (Which seems to be a very good idle temperature) (IntelMacTemp.com average for the 2.66 i7 is 41 C)

Now, here is where it gets a little worrisome.

-----------

I use a 4-window "yes > /dev/null" test to determine my machines maximum thermal output.

At 10 minutes into the test, my rans are running at 4k RPM and my temperature average is 99 C (It is fluctuating between 98 to 100). Yes, it actually hit a measurable 100 C

This is getting me a little worried because I have performed this same test in the past (a few months ago) and I have NEVER seen my system hit 100 C (which seems to be abnormally high). So what is causing my averages to increase over time? Is my system now doing a slightly worse job at heat dissipation? Is this going to get worse? Or is there a environmental variable that I am not considering? Or am I just crazy? :eek:

Why aren't my fans spinning up any faster? I'm not at 12 minutes into my "stress test" and the fans refuse to spin faster than 4k RPM.

Ok, well I guess I'm mistaken... My fans are now hitting 4.3k at 13 minutes into the test. My average is still around 97 C at this point.

Test complete. 15 minute stress test.

Fans peaked at 4.3k RPM and my temperature average for the entire 15 minute test was 98 C (peaked at 100, with the lowest temperature near the end of the test at 96 C)

-------

Now time to see how this handles at max fan speed 6k RPM.

> Temperatures instantly fall to 92, 91, 93, 91..... C
    > Holding, Holding, Holding -----> 89 C
    > 88 C

So clearly, the fan speed brings it down into a more "safe" and comfortable range.

-----

I know exactly what you guys are going to say: This is totally normal. However, I just need some convincing as this is currently hindering my ability to fully enjoy my machine! (As weird as that sounds. I am very O.C.D when it comes to my equipment.)

2. dta macrumors newbie

Apperantly Apple wasn't careful enough applying right amount of thermal pastes on a significant number of machines around ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103193 ). Shame that this is happening on a $1500+ $2000 machine.

I would recommend return the machine until you catch a normal one.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That won't hurt it. If it gets dangerously high, it will shut down. I wouldn't recommend that high of temps for long periods of time, but if it hits that and stays there for a few minutes it will be fine. If you want, you can use Fan Control to change how the fans ramp up.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know you said you're aware of the other threads on this topic, but if you read them, you'll see that your temps are, indeed, quite normal. Many have run with temps as high as 105C without shutting down. Your Mac is designed to shut down if temps reach an unsafe level. Your fans will spin up as needed to keep temps in a safe range. You would do yourself a favor by letting go of your OCD and just enjoy your Mac.
    That's absolutely not necessary, as the temps are quite normal.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Or just have your system run at 6k fan speeds forever. It will be quite noisy but cool as possible.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. These are pretty well designed.

6. dta macrumors newbie

But I don't think it is desirable to keep using the computer just below the max temps. allowed for long time reliability.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP was conducting a test that intentionally put high demand on the system. Temps would not be that high in normal use.

8. ozred macrumors 6502

I disagree, if they were "pretty well designed" we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Let's be real, Macs Run Warm to Hot... that's just how it is. Accept it, or screw around with temp control software and on and on.

It would be like buying a new BMW, only to have the sales person hand you a tool set on the way out. He says, "Oh by the way if you want your new $80k car to run right, your going to have to work on it."

Only Apple can get away with this crap. I _Really Like my new 2010 MBP --- but it's the same, when you have little or no vents and only 1" to work with, what do you expect? One can talk all they want about how the heat is dissipated through the case but it's still too darn hot.

It's this kind of thing that takes away much of the fun of a new laptop really quickly. I know for a fact that Apple is capable of much better.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the reason this conversation comes up is not that there's anything wrong with the MBP's design; it's ignorance on the part of users, because they have incorrect perceptions of what is normal.
    Yes, they do. They're designed to do that normally. That doesn't mean that they're flawed or not working properly. The aluminum casing transfers heat more than other materials, so you feel the heat more than you would if the case were made of something else.
    Car analogies with computers simply don't work. Besides, if you want ANY car to run right, you're going to have to work on it to maintain it. That's why BMWs and most higher end cars come with a tool set.
    The MBPs have very adequate vents in the back, near the hinge. Again, they've been designed quite well.
    Heat transferring through the case is not a primary method of heat dissipation. The fans and vents are the primary heat handling components.
    By what measurement? It's not too hot to run properly. It may be too hot for your taste or opinion, but not for the MBP to perform properly as designed.
    The heat of MBPs in no way takes away from the fun of ownership, unless you have a desire to sit with your MBP on your bare legs.

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

11. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Might I suggest that if you run your fans are absurdly high RPMs forever you're at a risk of wearing down the bearings in the fan faster. . . When that fan seizes and cease to spin, good luck. (I could be wrong on this)

12. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

If you think it's not normal bring it to the genius bar.

It has 1 year warranty for a reason.