Convince me to get a touch.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wailord, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Wailord macrumors 6502

I want one. I really do, and I can get one tonight if I want to.
    I just...can't really think of anything to really, really "WOW" me.
    So, please, convince me to get one. I know it sounds stupid, but I've only read reviews saying "iPhone is better", and...I can't really see a true thing on the device as an iPod.

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Get one
    They're great

Purchased my 16GB at Costco

Its an ipod, a web browser, and an all around great device.

3. 129930 Guest

i currently own a multimedia device called PMP, the name is i-station v43.
    its a 30 gig and it cost me around $800(in korean currency).
    i thought it was worth what i've paid

but then ipod touch came out. its an "mp3 + video + internet" all-in-one..
    i've tried it in the store for about 10 minutes then i bought it right away.

i wish i didnt spend my 800$ on that junk.

of course there are pros/cons in every multimedia device
    but,

come on, its ipod

4. pushateg7 macrumors member

I'm personally sick of the whole iPhone vs. iPod touch ordeal.

if you want/need a new phone: buy the iphone

if you want an ipod: buy the ipod touch.

end of story.

5. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Exactly

6. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

It's enough of a wow for me that this iPod has Safari. It amazes me everytime i on go online, that i actually can go online!!! So COOL.
    It's video play is beautiful and it's fun to show off your photos on it. Saves from having to print pics. It's so slim and beautiful. Much nicer looking than the phone in my opinion.

I was torn too. I decided that as cool as the iPhone is, it's not good enough for me to pay a monthly fee for. And what happens in 2 years when your contract is up and you want the new and improved Phone? I'm enjoying the Touch, for free--no monthly fees, and i'll wait for the next generation iPhone.

7. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

The touch is my 5th ipod, and easily the best. I compare getting it to getting my first ipod(3g 15gb), it was an equally great experience. I've used a lot of the touch's features on other devices and it doesn't compare. I had a working browser on my psp when I owned it but I never used to because it was awkward to navigate the web with. The multitouch is so easy and responsive I have no problems using it to browse(except the lack of flash support).
    I never could have imagined the ipod would become what it is today in the touch, even all the mockups(pre-iphone) were just a 5g ipod with a big touch screen.

8. sparsk macrumors member

Simply said, just buy it.

I'm loving mine. Best ipod I ever had.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Get a Nano. It's truly portable. The multi-touch stuff is just gimmicky on an iPod. The click wheel didn't need updating like the cellphone interface did.

10. pushateg7 macrumors member

Thanks for agreeing.

I was actually in that debate with myself. It came down to that I didn't want to have to carry around a 400.00+ device 24/7, in my pocket. I have my cellphone on me at all times, just in case of emergency of course.

I don't carry around my ipod at all times. I use it strictly for work and home wifi usage. I would just hate hate hate to lose/break my all in one device. Yes I understand we all have backup devices these days, but still.

It all came down to me not wanting to potentially lose my contacts, phone, and mp3 player all in one shot.

11. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I pretty much had the same argument with myself.

I had enough money for the iPhone, and the monthly plan, but the storage capacity, and the exact same fact you mentioned: The iPhone is everything in one, sure sounds great, but its sure easier to steal. And if its gone, you lost your iPod and iPhone.

I was anticipating just using the Wi-Fi function on my iPod Touch at home, but discovered my school allows for internet access from it. It is supposed to be for teachers, but I went to the front office and inquired about it, and sure enough they gave me the password and allowed me on it. They said it was just an extension of my school internet account. So that was a benefit, although most sites are restricted...

But in the end, Im glad I waited out for the iPod Touch, instead of buying an iPhone. I already had a phone, and didnt really wanna dish out 20 extra bucks month.

12. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

Now that I have played with my Touch for 2 days (and accomplished almost nothing else in between).... iPod is dead and charging ATM, I can comment.

First, the Touch absolutely blew me away. Yeah I know there are some gripes here and there (some more substantive than others) I think the "wow" factor comes with putting one of these in your hands. Once you turn it on and see the massive display, and once you spend 2 seconds using the "touch what you want" interface, you are basically hooked. It's the equivalent of doing the Wii demo at the malls when the Wii first came out. Once you played that first game of tennis, it was all over but the credit card clicking.

When I ordered the iPod, I wanted something with a failry large screen that was portable, thin, and able to play movies. But once I got it and started playing with Safari, I realized I had vastly underrated this ipod's killer feature. I can't explain how awesome it was to whip the ipod out of my pocked this evening and go read the news holding the device with 2 fingers and using another finger (from the same hand) to flick down the page. Laptops are good, but come on! who wants to drag their laptop to the local coffee shop? or even on a lunch break do you really want to bust out your laptop? you can, and certainly you can do more with a laptop than an iPod could do, but the size means you are very likely to take it with you.

Being able to check your webmail is awesome. I sent and received messages on both Shaw webmail and my U of Lethbridge webmail. Neither site had any issues.

Quite frankly, now that I'm back on my laptop, I somewhat miss the "stretch and zoom" ability of iPod touch. Sometimes there's something really small that ou want to see, and you would LOVE to just zoom in on it - but you can't really.

Next, did I mention ease of use? I had my GRANDMA flicking through photos and enlarging them today. Please show me another device that is simple enough for your grandma to use (someone who has never sat in front of a computer in her life, and asked me repeatedly if the ipod opens, and how the pictures got into it lol.) I'm serious - show me!

Video playback is awesome. I now have almost 4 gigs of video on my ipod although that is a whole season of a show, plus robin williams live on broadway.

The lock functionality is better than any other ipod. By doing the finger drag, you are avoiding having to move the hold bar. I hated the hold bar because I always forgot to re-lock after I adjusted volume or switched tracks. The slider can't be activated unless you actually drag your finger all the way across otherwise nothing happens.

I'm telling you, if you aren't convinced by now, go into a store and get one of these things in your hand. Once you see and feel it, you will be sold. This truly is a device you have to see to comprehend.

13. Rafaellimon macrumors newbie

I want an Ipod touch so please don't convince yourself after I got mine! hahaha
    "im making more chances to get one" :D

14. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

No way dude, it's not a gimmick at all. I find myself spending hours just touching my way through the screens, just amazed at how well it works. The last time an iPod had that affect on me was when I had my 2nd gen 20gb model. And at that time, the awe was just over the fact that I could keep so much music with me at one time...not necessarily the OS on that iPod.

15. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

agreed. The UI difference between any other iPod (except iPhone) and the Touch is NOT trivial. As I said, my grandma had it figured out in 2 seconds, ad so did my dad who is not computer savvy - and has probably never spent more than 30 seconds in front of a computer.

It's so much easier to touch the menu item or the song / album that you want than to scroll with the click wheel. Besides this, you get a much larger screen to watch movies, and you get wifi.

But the UI is worth the switch alone. Once I had this thing in my hands, and before I even loaded it with songs, I was giddy just navigating the menus (the first thing I did was enable wifi and enter my WEP key so I could try internet). By the time your internet is connected, you will swear off all other iPods.

My onnly annoyance is the space issue. I have already filled 4GB with video - I hardly have any music on this computer and therefore not much on the iPod. When I put on a bunch of music, I might be tight on room.

Still, it is by far the best ipod ever. You won't regret it!

Edit: M-Dog, just a thought, but why is your avatar a giat cat? lol

16. bloody macrumors member

i dont like how the touch doesnt have flash =[