Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Hey yeah we are in the same boat. Honestly in your situation, if the difference is really only $400 and there aren't options for buying like new or used, then your best bet is probably with the 2016. For me, I'm now looking through eBay for a 2015.
I am in a similar situation

I currently have a macbook pro 13' but its on its last legs and i need to upgrade. My birthday is in december so it will be a nice little present.
I was thinking of getting the 2015' 15' macbook pro...but that is a very old machine as its been out for ages etc....the touchbar 15' is future proof but the price is enormous! You also have to take into account I live in the UK and prices are through the roof!

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
In a previous thread I made I was completely planning to order the 2016 once the reviews came out (link below), but since then I've gotten some seriously cold feet...

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...capable-new-mbp-for-music-production.2010387/

I'm a student and novice music producer but am picking up speed with my music. I need a computer that will last at least 5 years. Upon, request in the past thread, I work with about 20 virtual instrument tracks *usually* (would like to handle more). I also would like it to be able to do some light gaming, like mostly some cheap steam games.

I came to the conclusion that I'd get the 2.6/512/460 15". But now that I'm thinking about just how expensive even that low config would be I'm starting to wonder if I should consider a 2015 15". I'd get for sure 1TB, but past that I'm not sure the processor or if the dGPU is safe (I've heard it degrades quick). The prices just from some retailers would save me hundreds! And I've heard that it's over a thousand in savings on places like eBay (I'm not sure how they found those $1800 or lower 15"s).

So, is the new MBP really worth that hefty price tag? Because it's not like I can't afford the new one, but it'd be hard to see so much money go into this thing if it weren't vastly superior to the year old model. Thank you in advance for any and all input!
Nobody needs to convince you to do anything. If you're convinced, you go get it. Would your need/want convince you? Could you afford it? Is having dongle a problem for you?

You need to compare you need/want.

circuitt

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
I was thinking of getting the 2015' 15' macbook pro...but that is a very old machine.
2015 was not that long ago....
Even the new skylake cpu's are still in the 2ghz range, won't be much faster maybe 15% if that.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
What about when you factor in the student discount? Doesn't that bring the price a lot closer to the 2015 model?

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
with education discount
the 15 touch bar is like £2200

I was going to say do you need the TB, but I don't know if they make the 15" without the TB.

Edit: just checked and I guess they don't make the 15" 2016 without the TB so its 300$ for something you don't necessarily "need". Okay carry on.

Last edited:

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
In a previous thread I made I was completely planning to order the 2016 once the reviews came out (link below), but since then I've gotten some seriously cold feet...

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...capable-new-mbp-for-music-production.2010387/

I'm a student and novice music producer but am picking up speed with my music. I need a computer that will last at least 5 years. Upon, request in the past thread, I work with about 20 virtual instrument tracks *usually* (would like to handle more). I also would like it to be able to do some light gaming, like mostly some cheap steam games.

I came to the conclusion that I'd get the 2.6/512/460 15". But now that I'm thinking about just how expensive even that low config would be I'm starting to wonder if I should consider a 2015 15". I'd get for sure 1TB, but past that I'm not sure the processor or if the dGPU is safe (I've heard it degrades quick). The prices just from some retailers would save me hundreds! And I've heard that it's over a thousand in savings on places like eBay (I'm not sure how they found those $1800 or lower 15"s).

So, is the new MBP really worth that hefty price tag? Because it's not like I can't afford the new one, but it'd be hard to see so much money go into this thing if it weren't vastly superior to the year old model. Thank you in advance for any and all input!

Get the cheap one, no point piling up more debt as a student.

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
Thank you everyone, I think I'll actually be getting the 2015 model, the savings are just too great to ignore.

Can anyone explain to me the best way to find a top config 2015? Amazon doesn't offer them and eBay doesn't seem reliable
EBay is okay to use and you can find good deals. I bought a brand new (never been opened) early 2015 rMBP 8gb 512 i5 from a certified Apple seller and paid $350 less than the original price ($1350) and it is perfect. Came with the 1year Apple warranty. Bought it from electronics valley.

Arsik_22

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
Thank you everyone, I think I'll actually be getting the 2015 model, the savings are just too great to ignore.

Can anyone explain to me the best way to find a top config 2015? Amazon doesn't offer them and eBay doesn't seem reliable
Craigslist has some great prices for the 15" fully loaded. I'm picking mine up tomorrow for $2,000 with Apple care included till 2018.
[doublepost=1478558006][/doublepost]
Does $2200 for 2015 2.5/16/1tb with Apple Care sound like a good deal?

No you can get a 2.8ghz 1TB for $2000-2200. Keep lookin!

Reactions: Sethaniel

Sethaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2016
Craigslist has some great prices for the 15" fully loaded. I'm picking mine up tomorrow for $2,000 with Apple care included till 2018.
[doublepost=1478558006][/doublepost]

No you can get a 2.8ghz 1TB for $2000-2200. Keep lookin!

I must say, I'm a bit wary to buy such a big ticket item off Craigslist, seems harder to trust the history of the device. What's you're experience with this?

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013

i think it will be easier to convince you to jump bridge then to get 2016 MBP(rofit)

Arsik_22

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
I must say, I'm a bit wary to buy such a big ticket item off Craigslist, seems harder to trust the history of the device. What's you're experience with this?
It definitely can be riskier but I've never had a bad experience. I bought my 2009 MacBook Pro in 2010 for $900 and Apple Care was also included then. I'm still using the laptop now until I upgrade and purchase the 2015 model tomorrow from a CL seller.

I always meet the seller at a public place, food court, etc. and make the exchange there. If you have someone to go with you, most are willing to have you meet them at their place. I went to the guys house for the 2009 MacBook so I knew if anything was funky with the computer I could go back.
[doublepost=1478560207][/doublepost]
It definitely can be riskier but I've never had a bad experience. I bought my 2009 MacBook Pro in 2010 for $900 and Apple Care was also included then. I'm still using the laptop now until I upgrade and purchase the 2015 model tomorrow from a CL seller.

I always meet the seller at a public place, food court, etc. and make the exchange there. If you have someone to go with you, most are willing to have you meet them at their place. I went to the guys house for the 2009 MacBook so I knew if anything was funky with the computer I could go back.

I also bought my iPad, one of my iPhones and a ton of PS4 games on CL. The laptop is obviously the biggest investment but most people are okay.

circuitt

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
I think ebay is pretty buyer friendly. Returning an item is pretty easy if it's bunk..
If from CL it would have to have Apple Care, and call apple to confirm before leaving with it.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
There are a lot of Apple scams on craigslist, at least where I'm from. I'm looking for a moderately priced, little bit older MacBook Pro for a back up, it will probably get purchased off of craigslist. But I probably wouldn't of bought my 2015 off craigslist.

Sethaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2016
There are a lot of Apple scams on craigslist, at least where I'm from. I'm looking for a moderately priced, little bit older MacBook Pro for a back up, it will probably get purchased off of craigslist. But I probably wouldn't of bought my 2015 off craigslist.

Yeah I'm not totally comfortable with the idea, but I've found what seems to be a reasonable offer and am in contact with the seller about its condition, which I think is a good sign (?). For instance I've asking about battery cycles. I like circuitt's idea of calling apple to make sure apple care is valid. Would you still think it's too risky?

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Craigslist doesn't scare me. I've used it a lot in my life. I've made good deals, and I've gotten ripped off. If you are going to use Craigslist, you are assuming some risk, and only you can make the decision of whether it's worth it or not.

If you do it, make sure you look it over good, use the machine some, check all the ports(that's kind of hard if you don't have a display to check TB and HDMI), and I'd take a benchmark or something on a USB drive and run it and make sure that it doesn't crash under a load.

Trust your gut. The 2 bad deals I made on CL were because I didn't listen to my gut. You aren't obligated to buy until you hand them the money.

Sethaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2016
Craigslist doesn't scare me. I've used it a lot in my life. I've made good deals, and I've gotten ripped off. If you are going to use Craigslist, you are assuming some risk, and only you can make the decision of whether it's worth it or not.

If you do it, make sure you look it over good, use the machine some, check all the ports(that's kind of hard if you don't have a display to check TB and HDMI), and I'd take a benchmark or something on a USB drive and run it and make sure that it doesn't crash under a load.

Trust your gut. The 2 bad deals I made on CL were because I didn't listen to my gut. You aren't obligated to buy until you hand them the money.

Great advice, thank you very much for all your contribution!

Reactions: xb2003

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011

The 2015 MBP is a great machine. I'm quite happy and satisfied with mine. Functional with a screen that gives me plenty of eye candy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.