Convince Me To Hack My Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by beaker26, Oct 31, 2007.

1. beaker26 macrumors member

Besides the iPhone apps, what would I gain, and please explain what an app does. I'm thinking about hacking my touch, so push me over the edge.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i used to be in same boat but realized i will wait till apple makes it official. i mean most of what i would do with it is already there. hacks to me are more gimmicks if anything. i dont want to risk my ipt to be frank....

maybe thats just me

3. beaker26 thread starter macrumors member

that's what I'm thinking. I just want to know if there is something if there is something to make it really worth it.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know what you mean. i guess mail would be cool but i dont want to risk it. i dont use the calendar much. nintendo? cool but are you kidding me? i need real buttons for video games!

thats my thought process

on a side note people complaining with apple and no cash for iphones. well we have the ipt now (which can be hacked to pretty much be an iphone with no edge though)

the ipt can be paid with cash

5. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

How would you do harm to your iPod touch by hacking it.

6. negatv1 macrumors 6502

Well for starters, there is the fact that if you 'hack' your iPod touch, a signal is sent to Steve Jobs at Apple HQ. At which point he personally orders ninjas to sneak into your house in the middle of the night to reclaim your iPod touch.

You wake up with a brown Zune, a broken window, and an angry letter from Mr. Jobs.

So don't do it. 3rd party apps like email or a usable version of Calendar(or 'gimmicks' as some call them) aren't worth ending up with a Zune, and pissing off Mr. Jobs.

7. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

dont forget the stains on your sheets and the pain... ooohhh the pain.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Trust us at MacRumors, we won't steer you wrong, it says so on the MacRumor's t-shirts...

Attached Files:

9. luca104 macrumors newbie

There is a TIFF exploit fix in the installer.app after having hacked it, so there is no risk at all

10. Darkjenso macrumors regular

Just so i know, what does the TIFF exploit fix actually do, how would i benifit from downloading it. i saw it on the installer but i dont quite understand

11. negatv1 macrumors 6502

It patches the hole that you used to jailbreak your iPod to begin with.

Basically, when you used this as the method to exploit your phone for jailbreaking it was considered a 'good thing'. But if somebody else decided used the exploit to deliver malicious code to your iPod touch, it could potentially be nasty (remember all you have to do is view an image in Safari).

Apple will likely fix the problem with the next update. The fix in installer fixes it now.

12. mmfy macrumors regular

So ppl who DO hack will have a more secure IPT than those waiting on Cupertino....crazy!

And I love it! :D

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Can I instead convince you (and everyone else) to stop making threads like these?

14. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

seriously....no amount of reading prepared me for the joy I have ...having just the iphone apps....The most significant out of these is the mail app...The rest of the stuff like the blackjack game and yahtzee are cool too but the mail app is awesome. Use ijailbreak instead of the other one if you want the iphone apps while jailbreaking.

15. beaker26 thread starter macrumors member

Can someone seriously tell me besides the iPhone apps, what I gain? I'm not a flamer, I just want to have some reason to really want to do it. Is there an IM application that does time out? That's my only issue with the online one I use.

16. James L macrumors 6502a

My personal point of view. I gained:

1) Mail application. Yes, you can go through webmail to get your mail, but I can now download all of my mail while near a hotspot, view it offline, compose drafts, and send them later when I am back near a hotspot.

2) Maps application. Much easier to work with than going web based.

3) Notes application. Sure, you can go through a fake contact and use the notes section, but why deal with the extra workflow?

4) Editable calendar. 'nuff said.

5) iChat/AIM client.

6) A dictionary for looking terms up.

7) For when I am just sitting around, waiting for wife in car,etc, games. Blackjack, Tetris, Nintendo, etc.

8) eBook reader.

There's probably more I can't think of right now. I will say though that hacking the Touch took a music and video player that was fairly useless when headphones were not practical or I was away from a hotspot, and made it into a device that I can pull out of my pocket and use at anytime.

No regrets at all on my part.

17. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

How bout you just do it? And if you dont like it, take it off.

18. Gerard. macrumors member

I Jb'd my touch last night, i cant find that app anywhere, i mean, theres hardly any apps at all in installer.app? Is it because its a new version? Or is there something i can do to make the rest show up such as iLight.. ect.

19. cazlar macrumors 6502

First thing you should do once you have installer.app is download the BSD package (not sure if Appsnapp does this for you or not?) and Community Sources. These other sources are where the majority of apps are found.

20. Fotograffiti macrumors member

Exactly what I was thinking

I am glad I am not the only one who hates these "Convince me" threads. I would bet that most people couldn't care less if you hack your ipod or not. Do some research and if you like the idea then do it, and if not, then don't. Stop being a sheep by asking people to convince you to do something.

21. MaTiCeK macrumors member

There's nothing you can loose with the hacks and it's really simple.

The touch becomes almost a PDA when you hack it. And you get a glimpse at the future whene the SDK will be available and 3rd party apps will start to pop up.

22. CopyChief macrumors regular

iPod vs iPhone

I had the chance to play with the iPhone in the store before the iPod touch was announced, and knew such a device was in my future. I'm tied to another contract, though, so I watched the unlocking unfold. This process, I knew, was not for me. So I rejoiced when the iPod touch was introduced and described as the iPhone without the Phone.

I rationalized the lack of Mail, Weather, Notes and editable calendar as saying I could do these things through other sources. And for the first week, I believed it. I loved the iPod functions of my touch but felt... I don't know, like it was only living up to half or even a quarter of its potential.

So I did it. I jailbroke it. Now it's truly an iPhone without the Phone (or camera, but hey.) It's so useful... it's a toy and a tool. It's my first real mobile device (had a basic cell phone but nothing more) and even after two weeks I don't know what took me so long to get one.

Truly, knowing what I know now, if the iPod wasn't hackable, I'm not sure I'd buy one for myself. Not that it's a lackluster, horrible device without the added apps... but it's so much more with them.

I will watch with interest how the SDK changes things, but for now, jailbreaking is where it's at. Do it. And if you don't think it's worthwhile, restore it.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

23. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

For once a thought out, well written reply.

Now to the issue at hand:

I was very torn on whether or not to jailbreak my touch, but like many people felt that it was only living up to about 1/3 of its potential. So I took the leap. All I have to say is I will never go back. Jailbreaking changes this device from an awesome music/video player to an awesome PDA with everything you could ever possibly want and an extremely simple user interface/3rd party app installer.

If you're torn about jailbreaking, just go ahead to do it. It's worth it.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

24. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

My friend at school refused to hack his iPod touch and was so scared until I asked why and he said "because what if when I open the case I cut a wire or something and it bricks it" xD I laugheddd :p Theres nothing to be scared of, no matter what Apple do you wont brick your touch with us here to help.