Convince me to Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by I AN LEGEND, Aug 10, 2010.

1. I AN LEGEND macrumors regular

Hey all,

I've been considering jailbreaking my phone for a week or two now, but like some of you guys might have been, I'm really nervous, haha.

I was just wondering if anyone could convince me to JB my iPhone 4? I'm mostly interested in the aesthetics of it- the awesome home screens, and just making everything look DIFFERENT in general? (How hard is it to do that?)

I was also wondering about the cons- any side effects, negatives, etc?

Lastly- safety. I take care of my phones, and don't intend to have to go in to replace it or anything anytime soon. And I've read that the whole process can be reverted, like it never happened?

ANY help is appreciated guys. Thanks!

2. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

There's absolutely nothing to lose.......you just have to go to jailbreakme.com on your phone and slide the bar......That's it. It's really quite simple. You get to configure the phone the way YOU want it. The tools to do so are very easy to use. My3G allows you to facetime over 3G. Just some really awesome upgrades that take 4.0 and makes it so much better.

And if you feel its not for you.......restore the phone back to it's original configuration.......nothin' hurt.

3. I AN LEGEND thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks dude- Is JailbreakMe the best/only way to do it? I'm reaaally interested now. hahaha.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sorry no reason for me to Convince your either going to do it or not. No benefit to me if you do I don't get a commission and it's not a religion. So I would do some research for yourself and see if it's what you want to do. Also it's mot like once you jailbreak you can't go back, just reinstall Apples firmware and unjailbreak. you might want to start with the stickies at the top. search things like why jailbreak or reasons jailbreak etc etc.. remember above all Google is your friend!

5. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

If you need convincing, you'll be better off not doing it. If there was a compelling reason for you to do it, you would have.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Agreed. Like you, I was hesitant on JB'ing my phone. Did it yesterday and can't imagine WHY I didn't do it sooner. Once you JB, it'll take some time for you to figure out how things work with all the settings and installing apps etc. But once you do; you'll never go back to the standard iOS...ever.

I would recommend you save a back up of your un-JB'd phone just in case. I had no issues with my JB but I've read numerous threads around here with people having their stuff get messed up.

If your stuff gets messed up then you can always restore to normal again without any issue.

GO FOR IT!!!

7. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Maybe this will help you. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhThhrd_UY

It's completely reversible. To go back to 100% stock you'll want to restore as a new phone. If you save the backup just before you jailbreak you can then restore from that backup, but only after the restore as new step. Just don't restore from a jailbroken backup if going back to original.

The path to see your backups is /Users/username/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

The folder names may look strange. Look at the time stamp to see the most current one. Save a copy of that somewhere and if you ever want to go back use that one.

To do that, assuming you already restored as new, Option click restore in iTunes and select the saved backup. Things will go back to the way there where just before the jailbreak.

8. I AN LEGEND thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks for spending the time to write up all that brotha.. and sorry that I stopped at the second sentence, I'm sure the rest of it was worth my time.

Anyway- thanks to everyone else, I'm thinking I'll go for it, soon as I get home and back everything up. Guess that's the end of the thread. Peaaaace! :)

9. felt. macrumors 6502a

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

NP brotha really though google! ;)

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Jaibreak now or a big 400LB geek is coming over to persuade you. It's your choice.

12. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

what he said. seriously, if you need convincing and are worried then i would guess you haven't done much research on it. I would hold off for now and properly research it enough that you wouldn't feel compelled to ask us whether you should or not.

13. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

Convince me to care if you jailbreak or not....

14. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

15. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

exactly. why should anybody spoon feed you through a process that is beneficial for you? do it or dont, nobody cares.

16. lnferno macrumors 6502

OP -- Not to answer a question with a question, but the question back to you is there anything you want your iPhone to do that it can't do now? Depending on your answer, it may be possible by Jailbreaking your phone.

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you're mainly doing it to customize themes and looks. You're probably going to be using Winterboard and in my experience, winterboard definitely takes a hit to your battery.

18. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

Jump in the water is fine.We all have been there,and like a prev poster said.YOU can always restore back to stock.Trust me you will be amazed at what all your phone can do.

19. daboltz macrumors member

Convince me to respond in this thread

Seriously, JBing your phone is awesome. Do it

20. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

No need, you already did :p

21. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Sorry to thread jack but I'm debating myself whether to jailbreak my iPhone 3G. I'm mainly doing it for the multitasking/wallpaper/battery percentage and wondering should I bother to install Cydia? Will it decrease my battery life that much and how much will it slow the phone down?

Also, does anyone know where the backup files are saved on Windows XP machines?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Don't do it, apple will confiscate your iPhone and AT&T will press charges and put you to jail.

23. jack66 macrumors member

sorry to thread jack but i was debating on whether to grill a steak or a chicken breast for dinner tonight. any inputs? what say you macrumors?

24. Jamz00 macrumors member

So having themes lowers your battery life? Also, is there still a security issue with using jailbreakme.com?

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Chicken:)