Convince me to replace my Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Sep 8, 2009.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Currently have a late '08 MBP, top end CTO with the 2.8/4/320@7200. Desktop replacement. Pristine.

In January I picked up a base Rev. B Air, 1.6/120 HDD. It's my work laptop. For lots of reasons, I'm just not happy with it.

I'm dying to dump the Air for another 15 inch pro, this time a loaded CTO with 3.06/4/500@7200/AG. This would then be my work/travel/multipurpose laptop (thanks to the AG screen).

I don't really need portability, but that said I don't really need a lot of power either--I just like to have it and know I can throw anything and everything at my machines. A want, not a need.

That said, I'm presuming I have until 11:59 PM on 9/8 to purchase and get the iPod deal. If I don't get the iPod deal, then I may as well wait for the next big update.

But, saving $200 now is a nice thought, especially since this is my secondary machine and eventually I WILL upgrade the pristine desktop late '08 when massive upgrades come, so I think I'd be plenty happy with the current offering as my secondary machine since my primary will be updated when the next big spec bump comes.

I want that AG pro to replace my crappy air, convince me in the next 16 hours to click the button...

2. macboy4 macrumors regular

If you need/want lots of power and don't care about portability why did you buy the low-end Air to begin with?

Can you afford it?

Do you want the 15"?

Buy it.

Not a lot of convincing to be done.

3. covertyows macrumors member

reread your post and click the button. you pretty much gave all the convincing. I didn't see any drawbacks there.

4. p3ncil macrumors regular

Get it.
    It's waiting for you.
    It's a waste to let go of the ipod promo :)

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Unless you're running heavy demanding applications, I can't see it.

Maybe what you want to do is drop in an SSD?

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

The Air is a bit finicky.

The new 13" MBP is very nice and sensible alternative to the Air.

Personally, I like using these on my lap in bed so the 15" is a bit heavy.

7. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Why do you need 2 laptops let alone 2 identical laptops?

Sell your MBA if you're not happy and use your current MBP for work too.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Air is a great computer, but lacks the oomp.

It doesn't look like you need any convincing seeing you already listed what you want and the Air won't provide that satisfaction.

BTW, you need to be a college student/educator to get the iPod deal.

9. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I thought the Air would be a great companion as a secondary computer, as I was always someone dead set on the idea that laptops should be small and light, and no larger than 13". The 15" pro was something I took a chance on and fell in love with, when I got it in December. The Air coming in January, just seemed to be the logical choice as a small secondary computer, but I've really fallen out of love with it and would love another slab-sided 15" pro. I wouldn't bother with a 13" pro, because if I'm gonna go there I'd just keep the Air. Another reason I got the low-end Air was because I wanted the ease/convenience of buying from the Apple Japan store (despite higher prices) directly that time around and for the high end Rev B. it was nearly $3300 with the exchange rate-----absolutely no way-----the low end one was already expensive enough as it was.

I didn't consider another 15" at the time I bought the Air for the above reasons, and for the fact that there was no AG option; I surely don't need the AG, as it would be partly for novelty, but having one glossy and one AG almost justifies me being able to buy two 15" pros, since they would in fact have a major difference (that being the screen, of course).

I figure assuming I can sell my nearly mint Air with AppleCare til 2012 and superdrive for at least $1k with all original boxes/papers, with the iPod deal it would cost me just a few ticks below $1500 to do the upgrade, once tax and everything is factored in.

As for why two computers? It's great and I don't think I could ever go back to one machine. It's just nice to have a desktop replacement I can keep pristine and another secondary machine that I can use for any and all of life's little bumps. Not to mention, should my one and only machine go down, I'd basically be screwed living 5 hours from the Apple store--I can only get there on weekends for service. The convenience of two machines is fantastic.

BTW I am a teacher in Japan so I do legitimately qualify for the edu discount should Apple come'a knockin'.

10. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your plan sounds wasteful and unnecessary to me. You already have two computers that can serve as a backup for one another. You're going to end up losing more money selling your air than the value of the iPod touch--which will be out of date as of tomorrow by the way.

12. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

hehe :D He can be as wasteful as he wants to be.... its a good idea having a 'cheapie' backup if you can afford it. He can get an ipod tomorrow on the deal and has 14 days to exchange so it wont be out of date - i did this with a mbp awhile back as id brought it a week before a refresh.

If moneys not a big deal then buy a new MBP - i got one a month ago and its (touch wood) perfect. Much better looking & design than my old generation MBP - love it.

And get an incase hardshell to protect it from knocks! I did.

13. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

3.5 more hours to decide...the only thing holding me back is I'd have $1500 on the credit card when all is said and done, which is nothing really in the grand scheme of things but having a $0 balance is pretty nice too...

14. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Apple timed the iPod deal, obviously. 9/8 (today) is the day right before the music event. Tomorrow, we will see the new iPod touch (according to rumors).

15. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

So, did you dump your girlfrie...I mean, replace your Air?

16. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601