Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
- Im thinking about buying an Aluminum Macbook, 2.4ghz.

I could for the same price get a Dell Studio xps 1640 with the beatiful rgbled screen.

The reason I want the Macbook is because I want to see what Snow Leopard can do when it comes out. And I also will have the ability to run Windows 7 when it comes out.

- I own a 2001 Ibook g3 500mhz running 10.39. Im actually impressed by the speed and the screen quality on this 8 year old laptop! The viewing angles are great for an ibook. Please confirm that the Macbook has a better screen!

I also have a powerful desktop at home running Windows Vista and ubuntu.

Thanks!

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland

I could for the same price get a Dell Studio xps 1640 with the beatiful rgbled screen.

The reason I want the Macbook is because I want to see what Snow Leopard can do when it comes out. And I also will have the ability to run Windows 7 when it comes out.

- I own a 2001 Ibook g3 500mhz running 10.39. Im actually impressed by the speed and the screen quality on this 8 year old laptop! The viewing angles are great for an ibook. Please confirm that the Macbook has a better screen!

Thanks!

Go check one out in person. Its the only way to really know what you will think of the screen.

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Thanks!

lol u posted exact same thread on notebookreview.com, ( ahem ahem i did the same thing :rolleyes:)

lol i posted a comment in tht thread, ill just copy and paste here :p

well i think macs are not just great because of their ability to run OS X, infact Macs are PCs. Lets just throw the whole thing of using OS X aside for a sec. Apple make computer just like Dell, HP, Sony. To me its the quality of apple products that attracts me the most. I mean if u hv used the macbook aluminum , then u will know wt i mean. its a solid piece of aluminum, with excellent build quality, amazing keyboard, amazing battery life , multi touch glass trackpad and soo much more. Its just like buying a high class PC. Think of the sony VAIO laptops for a sec, they r expensive but amazingly good. This is how exactly how apple is, their products are expensive but amazing. When you buy apple product , u know u cant go wrong, as opposed to buy a $500 toshiba or Acer.

Now lets talk about OS X, Macs dont just give u beautiful design and quality, but also an amazing OS, but this is not enough, u also have the choice of installing dual booting leopard and windows. Moreover, u can install softwares like parallels desktop or fusion, which will allow you to run windows and leopard apps side by side, i think this is just amazing.

Hope that helps :)

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
lol u posted exact same thread on notebookreview.com, ( ahem ahem i did the same thing :rolleyes:)

lol i posted a comment in tht thread, ill just copy and paste here :p

What you wrote was just beautiful, thanks, ya you caught me, I always need two different forums opinions!

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Never say never.

Yeah, as much as we hate it, that day is probably coming. That's the downside to Mac OS getting to be more popular. Maybe we should stop recommending Macs to people and enjoy our nice, practically virus-free operating system... :)

Thanks goodness, for now, though, its just user stupidity (like the worm/trojan/botnet from downloading the pirated iWork).

apull

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
chicago
You won't have to buy anti-virus software ever again. :)

imho this is one of the worst arguments mac users make.

there are scads of free anti-virus programs out there for PCs, and every year the probability of mac viruses coming increases. PWN to OWN consistently sees the mac getting hacked first, and past winners have repeatedly called the mac the easiest to hack, largely because of OS implementation weaknesses.

the aluminum macbooks are nice looking machines, but that dell is going to get you a full-HD LED screen (vs. 1280 x 800!), twice the ram, a faster processor, a bigger hard drive, a dedicated graphics card, an option to add blu-ray for $50. (maybe you were already planning on that), and twice the warranty.

you gotta ask yourself: are you willing to make a significant hardware sacrifice to have that shiny apple?

the dell is a little more than a pound heavier, and obviously bigger with the difference in screen size.

buy the dell, and then when snow leopard comes out go buy it in the apple store and <cough> hackintosh.

-----

disclaimer: i own a macbook and a mac mini, as well as a home built pc. i love my macs, but if you're looking for a powerful machine, macs get way too expensive way too quick.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
http://www.apple.com/getamac/
http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

Apple Laptops Extend Their Lead in Reliability
http://www.pcworld.com/article/156450/apple_laptops_extend_their_lead_in_reliability.html

there are scads of free anti-virus programs out there for PCs, and every year the probability of mac viruses coming increases. PWN to OWN consistently sees the mac getting hacked first, and past winners have repeatedly called the mac the easiest to hack, largely because of OS implementation weaknesses.

Wrong.

Pwn2Own contest winner: Macs are safer than Windows
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ntest_winner_macs_are_safer_than_windows.html

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Mac Malware Myth
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/29/the-mac-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I've seen that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the RGB LED screen. Doesn't seem to be any better than the WLED.

guzzlamiamor

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008

the aluminum macbooks are nice looking machines, but that dell is going to get you a full-HD LED screen (vs. 1280 x 800!), twice the ram, a faster processor, a bigger hard drive, a dedicated graphics card, an option to add blu-ray for $50. (maybe you were already planning on that), and twice the warranty.

you gotta ask yourself: are you willing to make a significant hardware sacrifice to have that shiny apple?

the dell is a little more than a pound heavier, and obviously bigger with the difference in screen size.

buy the dell, and then when snow leopard comes out go buy it in the apple store and <cough> hackintosh.

-----

disclaimer: i own a macbook and a mac mini, as well as a home built pc. i love my macs, but if you're looking for a powerful machine, macs get way too expensive way too quick.

Here we go with the price discussion again. I would like to point out that bigger everything is not always better. First, for most people mobility is an important aspect of a lap top. The Mac has the Dell beat in this area. Second, OSX is better out of the box and comes with more complementary software. For the me the difference between having to use Vista/XP, and being able to use OSX is worth any price difference. I also love how people always point out that it is now standard for Vista machines to come with around 4 gig RAM. First, unless it is 64bit it can't even use that much. If it is, it actually needs 4 gig of RAM to run as well as OSX on 2 because it is such a bloated turd.

Now for the point about the Mac getting hacked. Why don't you do a compare contrast of known worms, trojans, and viruses for OSX vs Vista/XP? Being hacked by professional hackers is typically not a concern of the standard home user, but being infected by these things is. This is completely irrelevant to the posters original question, or anyone considering a purchase for that matter.

The only valid point you make is that a bigger screen and blu-ray can be had for about the same price, which is only important if you plan to game or watch a lot of movies on it. Then again, if you really want to game you should have a desk top in the first place. The aforementioned Dell is not a gaming powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Why do we have to convince you to get a Mac? Can't you go down to your local best buy or apple store, look, feel and play with one to see if you like it?

What can someone here say that already hasn't been said in countless other threads on this forum and around the internet????

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Why do we have to convince you to get a Mac? Can't you go down to your local best buy or apple store, look, feel and play with one to see if you like it?

What can someone here say that already hasn't been said in countless other threads on this forum and around the internet????

I would , but I dont have a local best buy nor a Apple store. The closet to a best buy would be 2 hours.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
Convince me to buy a Mac????? Is this the height of hubris or what? Do your homework, check it out and buy what you want. There is no reason I can think of at the moment, to convince you of anything!

apull

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
chicago

2009:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2941
2008:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9072959
2006:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securi...under-30-minutes/0,130061744,139241748,00.htm

all of that is besides the point though:
1) if you buy a pc, you will never have to pay for antivirus either: pick one of the many very good free ones out there
2) buy a mac, pay for style.
3) buy a pc, pay for diversity of hardware features.

dell: expresscard, firewire, esata, usb, vga, hdmi, memory card reader, display port, blu-ray, satisfactory screen resolution
mac: usb, minidisplay port, not enough pixels to handle your photoshop tool palettes, aluminum unibody

why do i even bother with this argument? people buy the features they want....so, Gaelic2, buy the features you want, at a price within your budget. if you don't need all the features that some have pointed out you don't need.... find a pc without them, and i guarantee you'll save a few hundred bones.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The unibody MB is beautifully built... however, the display on it is terrible. I love the aluminum brick unibody. The components are nice together. It is plenty fast with 2.4 and DDR3 1066 MHz RAM.

OS X is much nicer than Windows. But still goes back to display. The display on the unibody MB is absolutely terrible. It is washed out. The blacks are more like charcoal.

It's really a shame that Apple made the display so crappy.

Really, either the MBA or MBP offer beautiful displays. You can buy a unibody 2.4 MBP refurbished for $1699, and that has a beautiful display and dual graphics cards.

Good luck whichever computer you buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.