Convince me to use the MBP's multitouch trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeff_siler, Feb 27, 2008.

1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

I picked up a brand new 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro at an apple retail store yesterday. It does include the new Intel Penryn updates as well as the new multitouch trackpad, and improvements to the keyboard.

After using it last night, I can't think of a single reason why it would be easier to "pinch" or "rotate" a photo with the macbook pro trackpad.

It makes sens on an iphone, but ergonomically it just doesn't feel right on a trackpad. For one thing, on the iphone's glass screen its easy and smooth even if you catch your fingernail on the screen. This doesn't apply to the trackpad on the MBP.

Don't get me wrong, I love the MBP and the new processor upgrades, better keyboard, and bigger hard drive are an instant sell for me. I'm just curious if the multitouch is all hype right now.

Convince me otherwise :)

Jeff

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

just take the blue pill NEO!:D
    it's an extra jeff but not a necessity...for now.

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Personally, I'm more excited about the 3 finger swiping than the pinch and rotating.

4. amoda macrumors 6502a

Can't convince you because I've never used it, but care to trade? :p I have a non-multi-touch trackpad that I can offer you :p

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think its just a gimmick for pinching/rotating, but going back and forth in Safari with 3 fingers is awesome :)

6. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

7. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Yeah...I never use it on my MBA either. It was fun to play with, but it isn't very useful IMHO.

8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I was playing around with an MBA in the store the other day and have to agree that the 3 finger swipe is great. However I think you should convince me why I should convince you to use it. If you don't use it I will loose sleep over it and little orphans around the world will wither away and die.

9. matperk macrumors 6502

Agreed...and I hope firefox will support it soon!

10. Gaelic1 macrumors member

Why would I want to convince you? If you don't like it, don't use it. There, isn't that easy?

11. PDE macrumors 68020

I've used fingerworks igesture pad (and I used to use the touchstream too) for a long time and I think Apple is going in the right direction with these multigesture trackpads. But, compared to what fingerworks developed, they have barely begun to utilize the technology. I think we'll see a lot more and hopefully this can come through software updates! As it is now, it's pretty limited, but once they cut and paste, open, close, maximize/minimize and all the other goodies, it'll be amazingly useful.

12. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

It is supposed to be a a bit sarcastic. I am interested in learning why there is so much hype about it.

I will try messing around with the 3 finger swipe.

Jeff

13. shiunn macrumors 6502

just out of curiosity, which fingers do you people use to:
    1) move cursor
    2) secondary click
    3) scroll

for me, I use middle(3rd) finger for cursoring, index+3rd for secondary click, 3rd+4th for scrolling.
    somehow, it is less sensitive when I use index+middle for scrolling. anyone having this problem?

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This Multitouch 'gimmick' has two uses:
    *iPhoto 'swiping' between photos.
    *Safari 'swiping' between pages.

Rotate/Zoom are SO rudimentary.

15. adamschneider macrumors newbie

I just ordered a new MBP, and I don't understand the trackpad hype either. How is the "three-finger swipe" easier than scrolling my mouse wheel or hitting Page Up/Page Down or some other keystroke?

16. PDE macrumors 68020

Here's the link to fingerworks' old website, where you can see most of the gestures that they developed - and perhaps get an idea of where Apple might be going too:

http://www.fingerworks.com/userguides.html