iPad Convince me

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dball4, Dec 6, 2013.

1. dball4 macrumors regular

Ok guys here's what's up. I've had the original iPad and I now owe the 3rd generation iPad. I'm looking at getting a new device but I'm trying to decide what to get. Do I go with the iPad Air?

Right now I'm looking heavily at the Surface 2 since it's something different. The reason why is that I'm bored with iOS. I do love my iPad to death and I use it everyday including typing this right now.

I know your opinion is going to be iPad so I need to be convinced to stay. Ok guys give me your opinions on why the air is better than what I have now. (I have 64gb wifi only 3rd gen)

2. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

Don't get Surface 2 in tell all the bugs are work out I was about two get one intell I saw this ipad air at wall mart

You be vary happy with ipad air

3. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

My advise would be take another look at the surface The pen digitizer is outstanding. One note is awesome. Having a file system is key to my work flow. I still use my mini alot for web surfing , kindle books and itunes media. The win 8 thing really doesnt work for me for consumption usages--but its great for math, science and design

4. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I've *thought* I've been bored of iOS before too. I'm telling you, it's one of those things that you don't know what you have until it's gone. Between the seamlessness of iOS and the App Store, you'd realize very quickly that you miss iOS if you didn't have it. In my experiences, anyway.

No one said Windows is bad... But it isn't iOS.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

We all here at MacRumors are big supporters of the Surface 2 for you. Enjoy!

6. doboy macrumors 68000

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

what apps do you use?
    the main drawback to windows RT is the lack of apps.
    big apps are there, but for me, lots and lots of apps arent available
    add to the fact - no imesage, no itunes. its a big no for me...unless i went with the surface pro 2...which, is pretty much buying a laptop...so thats a no for me too.

8. 2IS macrumors 68030

iPad Air is nothing more than a faster/lighter version that what you already have. If you're bored, the iPad Air will cure that boredom for maybe the first couple days. Then regret sets it as you realize you just spent $800 on a device that doesn't do anything above and beyond the device it replaced.

Buy the surface, or simply save the money for something else.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Monday morning at 7am, the Microsoft stores and online store will be selling the 8" Venue for $99 (for the first 100 customers) and then $199 for the rest of the day while supplies last. Part of their 12 days of Christmas deals.

Here is the link: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-stores-to-sell-dell-venue-8-pro-for-99-on-monday

If you are interested in Windows 8 on a tablet, this might be the way to go and not spend to much money, especially if you hate Windows 8 on mobile. Normal price is $299, so even if you spend $199 and hate it, then I'm sure you can sell it at either a small gain or not lose any money.

10. FrasierCrane macrumors newbie

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

How much content do you have on your iPad? How are you going to get all that content on the Surface? You will either have to repurchase the apps/music/movies (if they are even available) or not have them anymore.
    I don't think a new device will fix your boredom. You'd be better off getting a hobby. $800 would be a great starting point for lots of hobbies.

12. JGWolven macrumors regular

I completely get where you are coming from. If you wanna mix it up a little, I think you will be happy with a Surface.

13. hitteam macrumors member

hitteam

I got the surface RT while it was on sale at bestbuy for $199, the more I use it the more I love it, I ended up purchased the touch cover for it too. But, there still very limit on apps with the Microsoft store. If u aren't heavy gamer the Surface is a very good device to replace a laptop. The browser on Surface can run almost everything like the normal desktop version. I still like my iPad mini retina with LTE, and they are both great device with great battery life too.

14. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Well, I have both an iPad 4 (soon to be upgraded to the Air) and the Surface 2. What you buy will depend (or should depend) on what you aim to do with the device. I have two very different uses for the iPad and the Surface and am happy with both.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're bored with iOS then move on. I use the iPad to get things done and the operating system is the means to that end.

Sounds like the tablet is more of a frivolous item and so get what ever tickles your fancy.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Exactly. The OS is the tool, what I'm able to do with it (apps, including built in) are the key to accomplishing my goals for having the device.

If all you have a device for is to play with the OS, then move on to something new to you and have at it.

Otherwise, look at what you're trying to accomplish and choose the device/ecosystem that best aids you in achieving those goals.

17. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

One thing you may not realize until you try to live with it is how abysmally bad the Microsoft App store is. There are a FEW big name apps that work ok, and then there is literally almost nothing else. The rest of the app store is literally filled with 3rd and 4th string developers building apps that barely work. It's a show-stopper for anyone who has gotten used to what is available on an iPad.

(Surface Pro owner here from release day)

19. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Best response is here!

Unless you like to be told what to do by older men. :confused::D

20. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Run, don't walk. Move away from Apple. Products are garbage. Now, at last I can be number 1 in line. :)

21. dball4 thread starter macrumors regular

Bought one

So I went to Best Buy and I broke down and bought an Air 64gb. I feel secure again and I feel like I made the right choice staying with Apple. And I got lucky, since Best Buys computer made a mistake and I only paid $300 for it. I feel lucky

22. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

yeah, kind of like your $500 ;)

----------

the surface pro is a full OS, right? is that what the surface 2 is? if i were getting a tablet other than an iPad or a cheap android/kindle it would only be for a touchscreen laptop... one of my friends has it and he loves it but i know 0 about them as i'm sure i just made explicitly clear

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Stay.

PLEASE!

or not...

:p ;)

24. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Yeah. Sure it did.

25. psionicsin macrumors 6502

psionicsin

This.

You either want an iPad, or you want a Surface. However Apple products will ALWAYS be better than Microsoft products. So if you don't want to get an iPad, at LEAST get a Nexus 7...or whatever number they have attached that's equivalent to the full sized iPad.