Convince Parents for MacBook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MauKea, Nov 28, 2010.

1. MauKea, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

MauKea
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Ok. I have been saving up my money for a couple years towards buying a Mac. I now have about $1200, and I want to buy the new white MacBook. My parents know how I have been saving and working. My dad is strongly against Apple computers, but uses my iPad all the time and has several iPods. He feels they are too expensive and I would be wasting my money to buy one. My mom really does not care if I get one or not, since she would not really benefit from it. How can I convince my dad to let me spend MY money on a Mac?

Thanks!
    Edit: I am 16 years old.

2. AlphaDogg
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

First off (I hope this doesn't come off sounding creepy): How old are you? I am 14 and my parents do not let me spend my money how I want to... I know how parents are.

Second: What will you be doing with this MacBook?

Third: Will you be upset if there is a new MacBook release and your MacBook becomes antiquated?

3. Airforcekid
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Just show him build quality customer service and resale value plus you do not have to buy anti virus etc. If I made the money I would just buy it but I guess that depends by age.

4. MauKea
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

I am 16 and my parents usually let me buy what I want if it is within reason. The most expensive thing I ever bought was an iPod Nano, though.

I will be doing schoolwork on it and also storing digital photography. Basically powerpoints and albums of pictures. I also travel a lot so I like the size. I want something reliable, transportable, and will last for awhile.

No, I really do not mind if a newer model comes out. The MacBook out now suffices all my needs.

5. Apple OC
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Put your Dad on the thread ... we will talk to him :cool:

no seriously tell him ...

no viruses
    better build
    will last longer
    better resale value
    works best with iPad iPod
    the chicks think they are cool ... etc etc :cool:

6. wpotere
    Expand Collapse

Best customer and technical support over all windows machines. It may be expensive, but if there is a problem Apple will generally cover it.

7. MauKea
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, that really helped!

Hey, I'm a chick! :D

8. Apple OC
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Apple OC

OK then scratch that last line ... he might not go for the Guys think they are cool :cool:

tell him to Google Mac vs PC or PC vs Mac ... chances are the Mac wins.

9. MauKea
    Expand Collapse

Ok, thanks! My dad is an engineer and really into computers. I really do not know why he is so loyal to Windows. :/ If I get one he probably will realize he should get one also.

10. iThinkergoiMac
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

At 16, I would have told my parents "It's my money and this is what I want" and, while they may not have approved, they would let me spend it since I earned it.

Since text doesn't convey intonation, I'm not implying that you should be rude at all to your parents, just straightforward.

11. Apple OC
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Chances are he has a lot of experience with Windows ... therefore he would have better success with Windows than the average user.

One last point you could tell him ... The whole Mac user experience is more enjoyable for your generation and that you really want to have the core of your computer learning experience be with a Mac.

good luck ... he may be a hard sell with his advanced Windows knowledge. :cool:

12. ZenErik
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Tell him that UNIX based OSes are better, and that Windows is junk.

I love OS X and Linux Mint. :p

13. AppleFanatic10
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Lol! My dad is an engineer and he's loyal to Windows too! He says its because he only knows Windows and doesn't know how to work the Mac OS. I had to wait until the age I am now to get a macbook (19) :rolleyes:. And the only reason I was able to get a new one is because my Windows PC won't charge. (Thank GOD). But I'm glad I bought it. Tell him that you can also use windows with your mac. Maybe that will help him give you the "OK".

14. bestestever
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Im 16 almost 17, my parents didnt pay for any of my macbook.
    I worked,
    and i got money from christmas and birthdays etc..

Use:
    Better for education, most Collage's use macs,
    Will last longer.. This is provable.. do some research.
    I will do the best i can do on everything i do.

This should work if not say "fu*% you and your pc dad"!

15. vincenz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

vincenz

This line has been scientifically proven to work on every parent.

16. Weiser878
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Being an engineer, he probably fancies himself to be well versed on technology.
    I'm sure its not just an issue that he's familiar with Windows as much as its an issue that he's under the (mistaken) common impression that Apple products cost too much.

He's an engineer, so educate him like an engineer. Find sources to support your arguments, but basically it all boils down to this thesis:

"On paper, it appears Apple products offer inferior specs to a comparably priced PC. However, if one delves into the quality of the components used by the various manufacturers, it becomes apparent that Apple uses higher quality hardware, which generally results in a better made, more durable product with a longer active service life and superior resale value.
    Furthermore, the differences in software demands between OSX and Windows means that the Mac, even though having a slower processor and less RAM will still out perform its PC competitors because it is better able to utilize its available resources."

Or, if he's not so techy, and more of a mechanical guy, use the car argument Re. Apple performing better with lower specs:

a 350hp motor in a 5500lb truck is adequate to keep up with traffic in daily driving
    a 250hp motor in a 2400lb car is a spectacular performance vehicle that will blow away every other car on the street.
    Even though the car has less power than the truck, since it has less weight, the engine can work more efficiently, thereby making the car faster and more economical to operate.

Both are accurate descriptions that I have used to convert people who think they're "in the know" when it comes to computer specs.

Anecdotally, I have a 2010 White 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook with 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
    My Step mom has a 2009 Acer with a 2.53 i5 and 6GB RAM 500GB HDD

Side by side, using the same browser, on the same WiFi network, my MacBook will load the browser faster, open and render pages faster, and run iTunes, full screen streamed video and photoshop simultaniously without a hiccup. Doing the same tasks with hers causes the image to stutter randomly.
    A quick check into her task manager reveals that her Anti Virus is taking up as much memory as the browser.
    Also, her computer lasts less than an hour and a half on battery power while browsing. Today, mine was on and in continuous use for 7 hours, and was at 22% when I put it to sleep and plugged it in.

Hers blows mine away on paper, but the only thing I feel I'm lacking is that big HDD (which is actually kind of noisy on hers, come to think of it, while I only occasionally hear mine click), but my inferiorly equipped machine has better hardware and makes better use of what I have than hers.
    And if we were to sell them today, she might get $300, I'm sure I'd get $700.
    Mine was $150 more.

Take from that what you will...

and good luck

17. mrsir2009
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol well guys certainly think they are cool too ;)

18. MauKea
    Expand Collapse

That really helped, thanks! My dad is a tech guy, so he would understand the first idea! Thanks!

19. Weiser878
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Good luck.

20. DSPalpatine
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

In addition to the other points, I would stress to your father that you were saving the money you've earned specifically for a Macbook, not a Windows machine. You set a goal of being able to afford this particular computer, and you achieved it. You would now like to direct the money you saved toward the specific computer you want.

Also, given that price seems to be an issue for your dad, I'd also add on the following prices as a comparison:
    Macbook:
    iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, Mail, iCal, Address Book- Free
    Microsoft Home & Student (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)- $149.95

Dell Inspiron Something-or-other:
    Adobe Photoshop Elements- $99
    Adobe Premiere Elements- $99
    Microsoft Office Home and Business (which you would need to replicate the iCal, Mail, and Address Book functionality)- $279.99

Finally, stress some of the advantages:
    1. Regardless of whether you are having an issue with the hardware or the OS, you can take a Mac to the genius bar at your nearest Apple store and have it checked by a genius for. Typical manufacturer warranties for Windows-based computers separate the hardware from the OS, or offer separate warranties/support contracts for software vs. hardware (at least it did the last time I had to purchase a Windows machine).
    2. Stress some of the advantages inherent in OS X- Time Machine for backups, Spaces as a way to create 'virtual' extra monitors, Spotlight, and the power of UNIX as the underpinning to OS X.

Good luck.

21. Synchromesh, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

Synchromesh
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I read this whole thing written by Weiser878 and I stand in awe at how much bs can be crammed into one post. Really, I stand here beside myself with mouth wide open. Now in order:

I've used Windows, Linux and Mac OS. All have good points and bad points. This has been argued to death so I won't go into severe details (feel free to google) but OS X is far from perfect and has its flaws just like any other OS out there. While it did shine compared to XP, I'd say W7 is in general on par with it depending.

Obviously those people didn't know squat about vehicles otherwise anyone of them would proved severe holes in your theory. Here are just one big one. A truck that weighs 5500lbs is a fairly large pickup/SUV. That means when it was being designed it was developed for carrying and towing large loads. Meaning its engine was optimized for torque, not horsepower, while in a small sports car you mentioned it's completely the other way around. Does that mean that the truck's manufacturer is an inefficient idiot? No, it means it was made with a completely different purpose in mind and hence was optimized for that. Can you tow a 2000lb+ trailer with the sports car even with all of its 250hp? Maybe for a few feet until your supports fall off or transmission goes. Why? Because it's NOT MADE for that so don't try it.

Hence your entire argument is incorrect. It's like comparing a netbook to a workstation laptop. Yes, netbook has some advantages but it's purpose is so different it makes no sense to compare them. Apples and watermelons in your case.

I will agree that out of the box, Mac is a little better to the average clueless user because it doesn't come with bloatware (for now). However, if user has hands attached at appropriate places it's fairly easy to make W7 as good or better. You want a fair test? Here you go:

1. wipe the Acer's drive and install a clean version of W7 (updates optional)
    2. install latest videocard drivers
    3. install W7 on your Mac using Boot Camp and then step 2
    4. go into Windows on both, download and install Fraps
    5. start a game, any recent game that requires a decent system. Say Call of Duty: Black Ops
    6. check the FPS on both and compare

Depending on how good Acer's videocard is, it will WIPE THE FLOOR with your Macbook. Why? Because proper software was used and hardware was faaaaar better. I had an identical Macbook to yours with W7 and 4GB RAM and it sucked in gaming albeit on a external screen. SCII was unplayable at 19x12 resolution.

HDD thing is arbitrary, it depends on a manufacturer and batch. Earlier Macbooks btw, have a tendency to kill their HDDs, Apple even issued a recall for that. Not to mention peeling keyboards, random shutdowns on earlier systems, early Macbook Air broken hinges and so on and so forth. So quality components my butt. Their machines are not immune to problems like any other manufacturer's.

Resale value I agree with but she probably didn't pay $1000 for that Acer, did she? Plus Acers really are crappy to begin with along with Toshiba, Sony, etc. Try Thinkpads. They are built well and keep their values well. Maybe not as good as Apple but still not bad.

As to the OP - I highly recommend not using bs mentioned here. If your dad is an engineer worth his salt he will refute everything quickly because it doesn't require a Rocket Science degree to figure it out. On the other hand, if you go and tell him the truth - "daddy, I want a shiny new toy so my friends think I'm as cool as the next guy/girl", he may actually be able to live with it.

22. tsmacman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Idea!

OK i am 14 and i did the same thing i ran a landscaping business in in my smallish neighboor hood and made close to fifteeen hundred dollars this summer. I asked my parents the same thing and one of the reasons they said yes is that i needed it for school. If your school will let you bring it i would use that as a selling point also.

-many features built in
    - wont have to buy another one come college time
    - no viruses for current Mac OSX in the wild
    -long battery life-
    apple tech support actually supports you (unlike windows)
    -genius bar is always available for anything wrong with your mac

hope this help but seriously have your dad PM me if he has any questions , i would be happy to answer them.:)

23. bigchrisfgb
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

I think the fact that you want to do photography at school will be a great advantage. Photo's etc are what Macs are made for, you also get the software free in the form of iLife.

If Photgraphy is what you want to do careerwise then the reason of it being the default machine should run highly in mind.