Convincing my dad i should get an iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shackler, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I will be going to uni. and i need to justify $400 on a phone to my dad so he will let me buy it.(sad i know)
    First of all let me say i am in Canada so unlocking/jailbreaking doesnt seem to safe to him but i assure him it is. I also told him it has a office app so i could do school work on it(hoping for it with the SDK or a 3rd party app).
    What else can i say?
    name everything and anything please!

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

3. 12GA macrumors member

His house, his rules. Unless of course you don't live with your Dad and he doesn't support you financially speaking.

4. naftalim macrumors 6502

How about suggesting some return on his investment, either by committing to do some work for him, committing to a certain grade level in school, in other words you are earning it in some way.

5. NurseChris macrumors member

I get the impression you would be getting him to pay for it? How about you get a job and buy it yourself, cut out the middle man so to speak.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea I agree with the previous post. If you dad's paying for it and he doesn't like the idea .... forget about it. If your paying for it yourself and you have "extra"money (i.e. you don't need the money for books, food, coffee, tuition, lab supplies) and your paying for all of the expenses related to going to university yourself, just explain to him that your an adult and you have the money and your going to get one.

I'm guessing that dad is paying for at least some of the cost of you going to university. If that's the case I can't imagine how you can justify sending $400+ on a cell phone. Get a $100 cellphone and a good laptop.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

7. NurseChris macrumors member

and also it must be terrible for you to have to 'settle' for a Macbook, my heart goes out to you, it really does.

8. l4t13 macrumors regular

settle for a macbook?

even a macbook is amazing!

and if he is paying for it, get a job.

oh yeah refurbs are 199$.

9. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

Atleast offer to pay part of the cost.

..and I'd gladly settle for a Macbook...
    My iBook is about to explode it's so old!

10. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

i will be paying 100% of the cost.
    he just thinks my money could be better spent.

11. 12GA macrumors member

I agree with him - starting with tuition and books.

12. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

My point exactly .. lol

13. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It depends on where you're going to school. Going to school in NYC, or really any city, makes having an iPhone SO much more useful. The "Find Me" feature is incredibly accurate, EDGE is fast, and there are legitimate reasons to use the functionality (hopstop, addresses, etc).

That being said, you might mention to him that there are refurbished units available as low as $199.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

i agree...get a refurb...having the iPhone is useful...but it's not going to help your grades at all...

15. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Ditto to what 12GA said. Spend the money on more important things. Sounds like this will be your first semester, you'll have much more to worry about than an iPhone.

16. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

In my honest opinion, the iPhone is in what I call a developing stage and there are still many more models to come with several hardware updates.
    It would be a shame to waste money on it now as its going MAJOR DEVELOPMENT..

I feel stupid for buying the first iPhone 8GB - like a guinea pig - I got the first product - when OBVIOUSLY there would be the 16gb coming right around the corner. I could have hung those few months but chose not to.

The same way iPods, eg the Classic have reached what I would call saturation point as nothing more can be done to improve it, apart from maybe release it in different colours or maybe its design, so if you wanted to purchase one of those it would be more of an investment as it quite unlikely that the Classic is going to be upgraded every 5 minutes, and if you could afford the cash there would be no temptation to continuously upgrade the thing.

The short end of the story, whether it be $199 or $399 or even a 16GB, I suggest you wait because that cash will count believe me. Would you rather spend the cash to throw a party or a telephone. If you can wait a few months to a year you will find that the iPhone will have improved so much and you will be in a better position to judge your financial situation yourself, knowing how much you spend. And then buy a much more capable device than what you can get.

If you purchase iPhone now there will be huge temptation to upgrade it as there will be several more release models. And you will be tempted to spend more cash which will be tough.

Anyway your call....