Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lp154002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Hi everyone!

This is my first post on the forums (I've been a lurker for a long time), so please be gentle!

I have a LNP question, but it's not very straightforward. Let me explain...

I have a first gen. iPhone right now that I purchased on launch day. My cell number is one that I've had for a very, very long time. I originally had SBC, who then became Cingular, who then became AT&T. Suffice it to say, the number is probably 10 or 11 years old. I was 14 when my mom signed me up.

Therein lies the problem; it's technically her account. Whenever I need to make any changes, I need her SSN and her billing address. I'd like to remedy that by canceling that account when the two year iPhone plan ends and signing up for a new account under my own name.

My question: can I port a number from an existing AT&T customer (or, I guess at that point...a very recent ex-AT&T customer)? I want to cancel my mom's account, wait a day, get a new iPhone with a new two-year service agreement, and keep my same 7-digit number (I'm in a new area code, so that will have to change).

It seems like I have to get AT&T, my account and my mom's old account to fall in-line just right for this to go smoothly. I plan on dropping by an AT&T store in mid-June to see what they say, but for the time being, I wanted to see what you fine folks thought.

Thanks!

iwb

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Seems to me like it should be doable. Not really an LNP issue though since it's all within ATT.

Probably happens often when a family plan gets split up due to kids growing up (your case) and maybe divorces or some other reason and people want to keep their number and stay with the same carrier.

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.