Cookbook suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fernandovalente, Mar 5, 2010.

1. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

I love things like donuts and pizza. Unfortunately, donuts are really not popular in the country I live. I could never find any good pizza recipe. I would like to have a book with this kind of recipe. Any suggestion?

2. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

As far as pizza goes, I've found that American Pie by Peter Reinhart is a great basis for home pizza making. Several years ago I was faced with many local options for pizza, all of very poor quality, so I opted to learn my own pizzas. I still haven't been able to reproduce the world class pies from the pizzeria I worked when I was a teenager but I've still made some outstanding pizzas thanks to that book.

I've never made donuts but there's a tasty looking no-fry recipe here- http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001561.html .. 101 cookbooks is a really awesome website anyway, lot of good stuff there if you're looking for foody yum stuff to try out or just want to look at some tasty.

If you're after a single amazing cookbook with everything including pizza and donuts you won't go wrong with The New Best Recipe. If I had to choose one book to cook from for the rest of my life it would be this one. It's not as specialized as some but it has the best info and is enormously varied, I find myself going back to New Best Recipe several times a week.

3. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Thank you!

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Another vote for 101cookbooks.
    The recipe for pizza is excellent…

But remember for a decent pizza you need a very hot oven and a baking surface like a clay tile or pizza stone

Otherwise you may as well go out for a pizza. :)

5. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah you'll definitely need a stone for pizza. I turn my oven up to 550F (max setting) and heat the stone for an hour before starting. Commercial ovens are way hotter. Or you can build an outdoor wood burning oven for optimal bakeage. :D

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If you want crap pizza. NY style or that thin crust crap they make all over the place. If you want really good pizza, you need a good cast iron skillet and a really good corn meal/dough stuffed pizza. Chicago Style!

I have a recipe that is very similar to Gino's.

(edit) Arkitect, nice avatar. Is that the new thing. Yours is the third I've seen with that "theme."

7. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Just like ass holes, everyone's got one.

8. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

My oven supports up to 450~500f. Do you think it's enough? Would be a problem if I use a mold instead of a stone? I really can't get the stone. :(

I think I didn't understand. A frying pan for pizzas?

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

For those that have never had Chicago Style Pizza, it is a magical crust topped with cheese and toppings, a second layer of crust, then a layer of tomato sauce.

It's about 3 inches thick, and each piece is a meal all by itself.

Best pizza ever!

(edit) I cook mine in a cast iron skillet because it gets very hot and cooks the crust evenly.

(edit2) I took this recipe and modified it with trial and error. http://www.thatsmyhome.com/venettos/pizza/ginos-pizza.htm

10. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Nice, but I'd rather the "original" pizza :)

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

That's understandable. I love a good hand tossed pizza or a really thin crust pizza, but for my money, nothing tops a stuffed pizza. If you're having friends over, they will rave. It is unlike anything else.

12. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Your oven should be fine. If you can't get an actual pizza stone product there are a couple other things you can use. (These guys ship worldwide though: http://www.bakingstone.com/). You need to basically create a thermal mass inside the oven to supplement the oven's heating element. You can do this with Unglazed ceramic tiles (saltillo tiles or quarry tiles), a thick sheet pan or with a preheated cast iron skillet. Also if your oven has a broil setting, preheating the oven then turning the broiler on for a few minutes before sliding the pizza in will give you a hotter oven than bake alone, but can be problematic if your crust isn't crisping up fast enough.
    What is this mold that you have? I am not familiar.

13. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

It's a normal pizza mold. :)