Cookie b@stards - does this affect Mac users?

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
107
0
Hi,

I just read this article on Yahoo.com and became more than a little annoyed at the efforts of some of these spyware companies:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=509&e=7&u=/ap/cookie_buster

Anyway, I basically just wondered if this affects Mac users, given that the Flash player is built-in to Safari. I checked the link to Macromedia provided in the article, but it didn't mention if Mac's are affected. However, I'd just like to be really sure. Anyone know?

BTW - whilst checking for Macromedia / Flash files on my iBook, I found several relating to Pepsi or www.pepsi.com. I've no idea how they got there, or why only Pepsi managed to put stuff there (and no one else) if it's related to flash adverts. Again, anybody know anything?
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is news to me, but it seems like Macs are affected. There have also recently been issues with pop-ups that seem to be spawned within Flash code, that subvert pop-up blockers for some people.

I followed the directions that are linked in the article (at Macromedia's site) to ratchet up the security of Flash. We'll see if it messes anything up....

FWIW, I had some strange looking entries in my list too.
 

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
107
0
Chip NoVaMac said:
Hopefully this guy will share a room in Hell with Hitler and a pineapple. :D
I second that - even though I'm Buddhist and am not supposed to wish ill on others!

Just for reference, I really recommend all users taking the time to change the settings in their Flash player (do so via the Macromedia link provided in the article). The default settings even appear to possibly allow hackers access to things like your web cam or microphone!
 

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
2,284
0
Alta, Norway
I went to the Macromedia site to see how I could change the settings... but all I could see was a picture of the settings panel, but no instructions on how to access the panel itself. Took me a while to remember that it was Flash, and so the picture *was* the settings panel...

I feel dumb :eek:
 

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
107
0
Don't worry! I did the same... Was looking all over my disk for the Flash player and some way to access its settings!
 
L

Lau

Guest
dubbz said:
Took me a while to remember that it was Flash, and so the picture *was* the settings panel...

I feel dumb :eek:
Not as dumb as me - it was you discussing that that made me realise "oh! I see!" after fiddling around in Flash player. D'oh.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
superbovine said:
Hell has rooms?
Yes...they never really adopted the Japanese open style of management. I hear some of the suites are actually quite nice! :eek: :p :D

It took me a while to figure out that the panel in the window was the settings too. I kept thinking to myself, come on now, stop showing me pictures of what the prefs panel would look like, and tell me how to open it!!! :eek:
 

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
4,340
400
Boston, MA
doowrehs said:
Hi,

I just read this article on Yahoo.com and became more than a little annoyed at the efforts of some of these spyware companies:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=509&e=7&u=/ap/cookie_buster
that sucks. private people are forbidden by law to circumvent copyprotection and encryption of files to protect business interests. but businesses circumvent antispyware that protects private people.
if our law makers make laws they should be for everyone.

i hope somebody sues that company into bankrupty and the owner too.

andi
 

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
2,872
0
mkrishnan said:
Yes...they never really adopted the Japanese open style of management. I hear some of the suites are actually quite nice! :eek: :p :D

It took me a while to figure out that the panel in the window was the settings too. I kept thinking to myself, come on now, stop showing me pictures of what the prefs panel would look like, and tell me how to open it!!! :eek:
The "Japanese...management" is actually based on American professor theories at the time, and implimented after WWII was over to retrain the Japanese work force. Techically, it is American.
 

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
107
0
crap freakboy said:
Suppose that means you now 'were' a Buddist. ;)
You're probably right! Actually, as a Buddhist, I suppose I shouldn't really even be giving credence to the concept of hell...!
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
superbovine said:
The "Japanese...management" is actually based on American professor theories at the time, and implimented after WWII was over to retrain the Japanese work force. Techically, it is American.
I did know that in general...Were open office floor plans (no / few private office rooms) part of the American conceptualization, though?
 

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
2,872
0
mkrishnan said:
I did know that in general...Were open office floor plans (no / few private office rooms) part of the American conceptualization, though?
Good point, I never thought about that. I'll look into it.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
superbovine said:
Good point, I never thought about that. I'll look into it.
When I was at Ford, they loved to point out that Henry Ford wrote explicitly about lean manufacturing decades before Toyota implemented it, and that Toyota management used to consider one of his books required reading. Of course Ford Motor Company has a history of not following Ford's way of thinking when he wasn't listening... :D

It's interesting how these things rotate around, though. It's sorta like how pizza is probably quintessentially American food to Italians. :eek:
 

Similar threads

  • Damian83
0
Replies
0
Views
187
Replies
0
Views
324
Replies
7
Views
490
  • surfbug
5
Replies
5
Views
1K
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.